Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Single shot rifles >

Single shot rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Single shot rifles

Old 10-18-2004, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Single shot rifles

I post my vote for the Encore. Versatile, accurate, and reliable, everything I look for in a rifle. I have never really been a fan for the NEF just because theyhave such poor fit and finish and in my eyes are ugly and "cheap" looking. I know quite a few people that really like that and my uncle has a 243 NEF that is very accurate, I just like the encore much more. The Ruger No 1s and the hight and low walls are also very nice but don't have the barrel swap ability.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Where I live you can't touch an Encore for less than 450. My NEF 280 is a RIFLE as it has a 26 inch barrel. The NEF 25-06 also has a 26 inch barrel. Wally World sells the NEF's for 200 up here.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:54 AM

What about Rossi vs NEF?
Old 10-19-2004, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

NEF is better. Sights on the Rossi are only adjustable for windage. while this probably isn't a major concern ( most of us scope our rifles anyway) let me tell you a story. I bought a rossi combo gun .22 and .410 fro my sons 10th birthday ( this year) I didn't notice the sights when i was buying it either. got to the range with it and it shot about a foot low at 50 yards no way of changing that other than mounting a scope. The idea was to teach my son how to aim with open sights before the scope .. try and teach a 10 yr old that has hardly ever fired a gun before this to hold over. They use the same sights on the CF guns too I looked the other day. Needless to say I wasn't impressed and wont buy another. NEF on the other hand I have bought several.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Encore is better than NEF in the respects of quality control in manufacturing and caliber choices. You cannot get an NEF in any magnum caliber, and you are "supposed" to send in the receiver for barrel fitting. You can fit your own if you can find a used barrel. Of course, you can get alost every caliber for your Encore, and you fit it yourself.

In terms of warranty, I would say both rifles are equal. T/C is famous for their warranty, and I've heard very good things about NEF so far. They are both made on the East Cost, so if you have to send one in, shipping is about the same. Not sure about Rossi. You might have to ship to Brazil?

In terms of performance, the Encore is better out of the box. It has to be. With the NEF, you may need to experiment with tons of loads, float the barrel, get a trigger job, etc., etc... For what you pay for in an Encore, I would expect a smooth trigger an a less finicky gun. (I could be wrong here.)

For most, price is the great equalizer. Nef is the best bang for your buck. With T/C, you get what you pay for: superb quality and well known/respected brand name.

I have an NEF Survivor in .223 and love it. I can't afford an Encore. For me it's that simple.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:03 PM

It seems there are two sides to the single-shot story. There are hunters who accept singles, even NEF, as serious deer getters. And then there are those that won't give them credit for anything. Those that won't consider singles will site numerous excuses- no quick follow-up shot, not well made, they are only carbines, not as accurate as a bolt rifle, too cheap. Those of us willing to look beyond those issues have discovered that singles are very capable rifles, and some are down right affordable.

Give NEF a serious look, and its big brother, H&R. My H&R Ultra in .308 is a very nice little rifle. A great shooter and tons of personality. There are several deer-sized calibers offered by NEF/H&R, enough to satisfy all but the most magnum minded hunters.

Good luck with your decision on which single to purchase.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:20 AM
Fork Horn

I guess the only real way for you to decide between the H&R/NEF vs Encore is to just go and pick them up and hold them side by side and see which one fits you better. I have never looked back and stand by my desision of the encore over the NEF. I really like the grip of the encore much better and it feels a lot more balanced to me. They are both good guns and can be exceptionally accurate.
My 24" 30/06 with leupold 2-7x33

With the 18" 45/70 barrel.

24" 22-250 barrel
Old 10-20-2004, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

i have 2 encores

one with 15" 7mm-08 pistol barrel with a 4x leupold scope

the other encore i have 3 barrels for
260 rem
7mm
209X50 m/l

i have a ruger no. 1 in 7mm mag

i have a handi rifle in 243

all have there good points, i like shooting all of them, if i could only have one gun i'd take my encore, as long as i could keep all the barrels, if its stricly a price issue buy the nef, if you want the gun of a lifetime get the t/c.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I was talking to the owner of a gun store and he recommended the Encore. Didn't have much positive to say about NEF cause in his experience the quality control is hit or miss or just poor in general. He showed me one in which the barrel was totally curved to the left and he couldn't understand how it left the factory that way.

He said the Ruger 1 has a tendency to "string" shots vertically but added there is a very cheap fix to it.

For a similar price to the Ruger, he recommended the Encore based on it's shotgun style action (as opposed to the Ruger's falling block) and the wide range of available barrels.

He has an order coming in the spring so I can go take a look at those or just have him order one for me (unfortunately, you can't do a lot of shooting here in the winter...or at least, who wants to). So, it looks like I'll go with the TC Encore; I just need to choose a cartridge for it but I've got a few months . Probably a 30/06 since I think it's tough to beat.

Cheers
Old 11-01-2004, 07:56 PM

I have an Encore( .50 cal black powder, 7mm-08, and 204 Ruger barrels, really like it! ) Also have a Rossi 223 and H&R Handi in 243, both very good guns for ur money.You will like either .......