Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Advice on FFL >

Advice on FFL

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Advice on FFL

Old 10-13-2004, 07:27 AM

Default Advice on FFL

My dad and I are interested in getting a FFL. I was wondering if anyone on here had theirs. We don't really want to start a business, just make it more flexible for us to buy and sell guns. (at flea markets, gun shows, etc.) That being said, do you think it is worth it? Any additional comments on FFL are welcome. I would like to learn as much as I can about it before applying. Thanks
Old 10-13-2004, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Advice on FFL

here is something that had been posted earlier, best of luck to you and your dad

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/fb.asp?m=762143&key=ffl
Old 10-13-2004, 10:41 AM

Kyhunter,
This may sound like a good idea, but it is a FELONY to become an FFL dealer just to enhance your collection. It has to be started for business purposes. Much in the same way it's illegal to "create" a corporation just to buy machine guns. I'm not sure how regulated this really is, but needless to say, I don't think it's worth prison time to save on convience.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had one for twenty years. About the time that clinton got into office, I turned mine in. They were starting to get pretty chicken S#^* on the regulations. I don't know what might be involved now. You may have to open a real store to get it. Let us know how it work out.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:08 PM

I plan on making money at buying and selling guns. From what I understand your house can be considered a place of business. In the past we have just gone to flea markets, etc. and bought and sold guns with no problem. Recently a man who also sells at similar places was arrested for a number of reasons. I think he was charged with 5 different crimes (tax evasion, selling w/o a license, across state lines, etc.) I don't sell across state lines, or on the level he was selling (he had about 75 guns, where I have 10 at the most). Turns out the ATF had been watching him for over a year, and had bought 3 guns off him in the past. The reason I am looking into an FFL is to avoid problems like this for me and my dad in the future.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is some arbitrary number of guns you can sell in a year before the BATF decides that you are dealing guns without a license- noone seems to know this number.

I know of a few FFL holders who deal out of their houses, they do mail order business and don't stock firearms. This can be done so long as your local ordinances do not prohibit running a business out of your home or prohibit selling guns in your community.

If you have a FFL, you must have a business of selling guns, getting an ffl to buy guns for yourself at a discount price is illegal.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:36 PM

Ihad a ffl for a few years and sold on a small scale.Bill Clinton made it well known he was going to run the small time ffl holders out . He started making so many rules and reg. he did just that .I don't know if its that bad now or not.