Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 finish for refinishing a stock? >

finish for refinishing a stock?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

finish for refinishing a stock?

Old 09-23-2004, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default finish for refinishing a stock?

I am in the process of refinishing my brother in laws 12 g. I have the old finish stripped off and the stock is sanded. What would you recomend to put on the stock for a new finish? Perhaps true oil or something along those lines? Ill also take any recomendations for application and base coats?
Thanks
Old 09-23-2004, 08:11 AM

Default RE: finish for refinishing a stock?

As long as the wood is walnut or another dark wood, I like Linseed oil. Try it on the barrel channel to see what colour it takes. It really enhances the grain. Plus as a bonus, it hides defects and scratches. If you go to your local gun shop, see if they have a Browning 525 Field, or another gun with a similar finish to the 525. That's what the oil will do for you.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:42 AM

I recently re-finished a butt stock on a Browning BAR with several coats of Tru-Oil applied with bare fingers and would highly recommend it. If you are going to use a stain first be sure to use a water based stain as an oil based stain will seal the wood and not allow the Tru-Oil to penetrate. I did not need a stain as the butt stock finished with Tru-Oil nicely matched the forestock. gg.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

goodguy
When the truoil dried was it hard like an epoxy and was it shiney?
Old 09-23-2004, 09:20 AM

No it is not hard like epoxy. It does have a bit of a sheen to it but not glossy. Probably best described like the low lustre finish you see on most new guns. You might want to try it on a piece of hardwood beforehand.

As for your stock the most important aspect of finishing your stock is to sand it baby-bum smooth. Use 220 sand paper or finer and then the finest steel wool you can get. The more time and effort at that stage the better the finished product. Then light sanding with steel wool between coats. gg.