Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Refinishing my stock

Old 07-19-2008, 08:13 PM

Default Refinishing my stock

I bought a Browning A-bolt hunter stainless with wood stock. The finish on the wood is flat stain. I sprayed it with clear gloss polyurthane by minwax. Looks really good, But I think it could be better. I put about 2 coats on it and gonna let it sit for a couple of days and sand and re-coat. My question is they had a can of clear Satin. Which do u think I should finish with?
Old 07-19-2008, 11:29 PM

Default RE: Refinishing my stock

Well if you want bling then stick with the gloss, if you want to hunt with it I'd left it dull and flat..................
Old 07-20-2008, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, aflat finish would be my preference for a hunting rifle.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sand down finish with very fine steel wool between your coats (you did not mention what you were sanding with).I, also would stick to the flat finish.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:47 AM

I got 320 grit and steel wool, waiting to dry then sand.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:49 AM

I got a bar and the finish is beautiful and that is what I'm trying to achieve. Also I have other rifles and I just chose this one to personalize.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll go against everybody and reccomend a semi-gloss. It'll shine just enough to pronounce the figure in wood without being so shiny to look gaudy.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Once you bling up the wood on this rifle what do you plan on doing with the sand blasted dull finish of the stainless steel? I don't get why you are doingit personally. It's like having chrome wheels on your camo hunting 4 wheeler.

I hope you stripped that wood stock down to bare woodbefore you started spraying it with canned enamel. If not, plan on doing it again in the nearfuturewhen the new finish starts to peel because of the oils that are imbeded in the wood from being wrapped in plasticin that box with all of the factorypacking oils and grease and from simply being handled.

Don't use steel wool. It breaks off an imbeds itself into the finish and woodand any little wool fibers not removed can rust and completely ruin an otherwise good finish. Use 400 - 600 grit automotive wet / drysand paper that they use for sanding between coats on automotive finishes.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:40 AM

Hi guys:

Ever wished you could refinish your rifle or shotgun stock, or maybe even a pair of wood handgun grips? Well, it's certainly possible. From stripping to pressing the stock with a clothes iron, from sanding to applying the finish, this will help walk you through the process.
=======================
Peter

Addiction Recovery Ohio
http://www.addictionrecovery.net/ohio
Addiction Recovery Ohio