Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
home defense gun >

home defense gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

home defense gun

Old 03-09-2002, 10:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: home defense gun

12 ga with 3in. #4 turkey loads like nomercy said if your going to shoot make darn sure you kill them at that point it's your word versus a dead mans he cannot state his intent
Old 03-10-2002, 12:56 AM

Greets again,
Well, I seem to have missedthe mark in my first post, you asked about SHOTGUN LOADS..
I personnally would recommend fairly light (extremely light if you reload your own ) 7 1/2 or 8 shot loads, at home defens ranges penetration isnt going to be a prob.. BUT the lighter shot will be slowed much more by your wallis if you miss, so you likely as not wont hurt anyone on the otherside too bad. Add to that, my light loads with 1 1/8th ounces of #7 1/2 shot will cut a 2"-3" branch clean in half at 5'-10' in one or two shots. Which tells me its going to blow a GARGANTUAN hole in the poor sucker who invades my home!! ( Actually as posted earlier I use a 9mm for home defense, but if I was to use the shotgun I know it would do the job with that load. )

Just my uneducated opinion!
Terry
Old 03-10-2002, 11:04 PM

Bird shot at close range, no matter what size the shot is, acts like a slug on drywall inside the home! You guys that are using that, be careful you don't miss the intruder and have your simple "bird shot" go through your walls and hit your family members. Try some drywall out at a range some time. You'll see what I'm refering to. It might change your mind about using it inside the home.

Secondly, whether a suspect is outside your home, or inside your home, if you can articulate the fact that you were defending your life OR the life of someone else, it's NOT murder!!!!

However, don't lie about the facts. Crime lab folk and Homicide detectives have a keen knack for looking at the evidence, physics & other dynamic things at a shooting scene and can tell if you're lying about the shooting.

For example, stating that the suspect was 3' away from you when you shot him, when actually he was 30 feet away. The crime lab folks can tell by microscopic powder burns on the suspect how close/far away you were from the intruder.

Another example is when a person has his/her arms extended and you shoot him/her. If you say the suspect was pointing a gun at you, so you shot him, a coroner can tell the position of the dead suspects arms at the time he was shot. They can say if your statement is true or a lie. Coroners can tell if a suspect had his arms raised, lowered, if they were over his head in a "surrender" type position etc...

Another example is blood splatter patterns. Many things can be told about the patterns of blood splatter.

Don't ever ever lie about the facts of a shooting. However remember this too....Nobody can ever tell what your state of mind was at the time of a shooting.

Example. If I heard an intruder outside my front door, kicking it in, and I saw that he was holding a weapon, I could articulate that he was going to come in and kill me and my family. I would put a lot of emphasis into it, such as "I was afraid for my life, my families life..." etc.... "I thought there was more than one suspect"..."I yelled at the suspect I'm calling police and he continued to kick down the door....even when I told him I had a gun too..." etc...

Get my point??? Another example, you look out the window and see a suspect trying to light a molotov cocktail and through it at your house: "I thought he was going to torch my family with that bomb fire bomb"...I thought I had to stop the torch weilding suspect before he burned down my sleeping kids and home".... etc...

Just articulate with verifyable facts that your state of mind was that your were in fear of your life, or the life of someone else. And that without immediate intervention, you thought you or somebody else was gonna die or face serious bodily injury.

I'll admit that if a suspect is seen running out your back door with a VCR, trying to get away from you, you better not use deadly force on him/her. It's different if the suspect is running out of your house and he just tried to kill you or someone else. You can shoot him/her as long as you articulate that he/she just killed a family member or tired to; and you believed that unless the suspect was immediately stopped, due to the seriousness of the crime he just comitted, was going to kill someone else again. (whew, what a run on sentence.)