Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New Rifle for Beginner >

New Rifle for Beginner

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Rifle for Beginner

Old 01-10-2002, 10:02 AM

Default New Rifle for Beginner

I'm thinking about getting my son a new rifle that would be used for deer and elk hunting in Colorado. My son is 20 years old, but fairly new to hunting. I want something with mild recoil, but enough power to put down a bull elk at 300 yards. I'm thinking bolt action - maybe .308. Any recommendations?
Old 01-10-2002, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Rifle for Beginner

308 and 30-06 will both serve you well. With normal loads, the 06 has more range...and will probably be better at 300 yards. Plus, the 06 has a more broad range of ammo from your normal stores. A 7mm mag may be another option.

You can't go wrong with a Rem 700. Also a browning A-Bolt is a fine gun.

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:31 AM

im not trying to undermine your plans or bring you guys done, but if your son is fairily new to hunting i would not attemp to make a 300 ayrd shot...theres alot of variable that take years to develop when shooting that far...the '06 is a good choice
Old 01-10-2002, 12:46 PM

30-06, 300 mag or 7 mag would be my choice. I think the 308 is a horrible round for elk hunting, would avoid that at all costs. Just my opinion though. Later.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:39 PM

30-06!
Old 01-10-2002, 02:45 PM

I'd go with the .308 but if he's new to the rifle, I sure wouldn't let him attempt a shot of more than 150 yards.
Old 01-10-2002, 03:03 PM

I agree with all of you regarding the 300 yard shot. That's too far to shoot for a beginner. But I do want to get a rifle that can reach that far if necessary. I also want to get a rifle that will last him a long time and that he can grow into.
Old 01-10-2002, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great to hear about a new hunter entering the field with a father ready to provide all the necessary guidance.
In order to give my own opinion I'd ask you a couple questions....
1. How is your son built?? Height?..weight?
2. How much experience has he had with high powered, centerfire rifles??
3. What rifles do you already own yourself?
After you answer these few questions I might change my mind, but without even answering those questions, I'd suggest a bolt action 30/06 unless he's a little recoil shy and unless you already own a different caliber than the 06. yourself. The name brand isn't as important as what fits him best AND WHAT HE THINKS HE WANTS (very important!) There are many other calibers that will be great choices but it's really a matter of personal choice at that point. For instance, if you already own a 7mm/08 and do your own handloading .... well then.....nuff said. Since Elk hunting is in the mix I'd opt for the 06 or bigger, but an experienced shooter can easily drop an elk with less gun. The 300 yard part makes it alittle dicey though. B/C of your mention of 300 yards for elk, I'd stick with the 30/06 or bigger,..but 30/06 will suffice.....good shots = meat. Good luck in your gun shopping and good luck to your son on his upcoming entry to hunting. Good luck dad.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:09 PM

8mm/06,

1. My son is tall and lean 6'-4" 175 lbs.
2. He has very limited experience with high-powered center fire rifles.
3. I own a Winchester M70 in a 7mm Rem Mag and a Mossberg 12 ga. shotgun.

I realize it would be simplest to get him a 7mm mag, but I think that may be a little too much gun (recoil) for him. I think the '06 would have only slightly less recoil than the 7mm mag. That's why I was considering the 308. I believe that the '06 would perform a little better than the .308, but the .308 might be a better choice for a beginner. I'm trying to find a good compromise between performance and ease of shooting for a beginner. Thanks for your great advice. I really do appreciate it.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:35 PM

jones,
I'll have to agree with you on the 7mm.
I have a 7mm Rem. Mag in the 70 also and the recoil is absolutely brutal in my opinion.
Stick with the .308.

Quick Reply: New Rifle for Beginner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.