Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Turkey gun also a home defense gun >

Turkey gun also a home defense gun

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey gun also a home defense gun

Old 03-21-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Turkey gun also a home defense gun

My wife says we need a new home defense gun. I want a shotgun that can do more than just sit under the bed. I was thinking of getting the Remington 870 Express Turkey gun. It's a 12 guage with a 21" barrel, holds 3" shells. It would be great for home defense with some buckshot in it in my opinion and all I have to do is put a turkey choke on it and I'm ready to turkey hunt. What do you think?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:13 PM

Default RE: Turkey gun also a home defense gun

I was thinking the same thing. Except I am looking for a turkey gun and thought the express 870 would make a great home defense gun in addition to turkey gun. I say thats a great idea... home defense gun should have a short barrel and so should a turkey gun.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:39 PM

thats the gun i got and i use it for everyting i hunt duck turk deer its the best and wont fail you!

Old 03-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

i won that gun.......and sitting beside the bed with a cylinder choke with some #4 buck will mess someones day up......nicest little gun out there IMHO......love it....shoots good...never had a problem with it....light as heck.....nice to carry in the turkey woods.........dont be scared.....even with the baddest of the bad 3 inchers it dont beat you up all that bad...suprising for it being so light.....i was shocked.....i braced myself and thought id be on my butt....but its reasonable......i love mine
Old 03-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

got my 870 express sittin next to my bed with a 20" improved cylinder bore. throw on the scope, ready for deer. put on the 28" barrel and turk choke, and im set for turkeys. love that gun! its not too popular on glocktalk tho, but ill keep defending it.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why not use a handgun for home defense? Get a shotgun for hunting!

Tom
Old 03-22-2005, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

when the poo hits the fan, i think the shotgun is the winner.
also, if you use a light load with small shot, you don't have to worry so much as whackin your nieghbors by accident because of penetration issues....

and how about that "CHIK-CHICK " sound??? thats awful scary in the dark. might be enough to avoid a confrontation (although a pistol mounted laser has the same wet-your -pants- effect)

seriously, if you are that concerned for your safety, the FIRST thing i would do is scumbag-proof your house. motion lights, LOUD alarms when the doors or windows are breached,get a big old chessie retriever, etc... and if it's THAT bad, you may want to consider movin!
Old 03-22-2005, 02:58 PM

Definantly use small shot ( 7 1/2 or 8's), very lethal in the distances you would be using in a home defense situation, but would't penetrate dry wall and injure the kids in the next room. I have seen the aftermath of folks shot from close range with small shot, don't worry about the stopping power.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:28 AM

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

got my 870 express sittin next to my bed with a 20" improved cylinder bore. throw on the scope, ready for deer. put on the 28" barrel and turk choke, and im set for turkeys. love that gun! its not too popular on glocktalk tho, but ill keep defending it.
I'm not suprised that Glock owners would feel there gun is threatened by a shotgun. When you buy a glock do you get a company brainwashing where every other gun on the planet is crap, because only the Glock is "Perfection?" That being said I live by my self so my 870 supermag is my home defense weapon and turkey gun, I use 3" 00 Buck, but soon as the girlfriend moves in I'll have to switch to a lighter load.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

i use my remington 1100 for huntin' and for protection....i feel comfortable with it and we have bonded over the years.