Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Home Defense bullet choice? >

Home Defense bullet choice?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Home Defense bullet choice?

Old 07-12-2004, 01:25 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Home Defense bullet choice?

Well, close, I got two dobermans. One about 105lbs and the other a puppy, at 4 months old and 50lbs. Hard to handle them sleeping in the same room. The big one snores worse than me and sleeps more sound than I do. I have to kick him up. But this new puppy is a light sleeper. He wakes up all the time thinking he hears someone. so now all night, the pup, starts grawling, then the big one goes nuts, running thru the house. Its nuts.

Old 07-12-2004, 01:32 PM

New bullets.

I'm still a fan of Gold Dots. I carry them for a duty round and also as a off duty round. When I do use a 9mm I switch to Corbon 125 grain +P.

http://www.ammolab.com Has a lot of good information of differn't bullets, though I don't think the .44 is on there. With the .44mag as a HD weapon, I can't see where you could wrong with a GD, XD, Barnes, etc.... However, I would proably use .44special lods with one of those hollow points, I would be worried about over penetration and someone (loved one) getting hurt.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh your all set with those 2 BC,no problems there just make sure you have a mop and pail to cleanup the blood. WHen I lived in Florida I would go out for late night walks with my 2 and funny how I never had any problems with anyone during that time. People would see me coming down one side of the street and sprint across to the other side to avoid us.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:15 PM
bigcountry

Well, the problem is I get all freaked out when they start this party in the middle of the night. I wake up cocked and locked and see all these shadows running thru the house barking, dogs running up and down stairways going to every door. I was scared one night that I while all groggy I would accidentally shoot one of my dogs.

You should have seen it the other week, when a sound sensor (alarm) fell from my cieling and the alarm went off, I was a hair away from blasting the house down. Dogs and all. All I could think about half asleep, is I wonder if 6 rounds will be enough.

Old 07-12-2004, 02:56 PM

This is something few people have to deal with. But when it does happen you want something reliable. If you are shooting a 44 mag, anything will work. As long as you can hit your target when and where it counts. You will probably get only one shot. In low light that muzzle flash is going to blind you. Better make it count.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

I keep a .357 Mag loaded alternately with the Glazer rounds and my winchester 145gr Silvertips. The first shot is the Glazer incase I'm a little groggy on the 1st round - shot #2 is gonna HURT though [:@]
Old 07-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Big Country,
You in the witness protection program or something?

Awful jumpy there.

I agree though.....a .44 mag and bullet at close range is gonna get ugly. I would look toward something on the light and rapid expansion side. Why spend all that extra money on "Oxy Clean" paint and spackle if you don't need to.

I'll be running a bunch of Hydra Shoks thru my XD-40 next session to see how it likes them.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:07 PM

Default best bullet for 44 mag.

i personally like corbon loads...in a 44 mag any bullet will make a great home defense bullet.

more importantly ... shot placement......
Old 07-12-2004, 10:25 PM

Default RE: best bullet for 44 mag.

I'm with the 00 buckshot, but than again I don't mess around with handguns to much. If an unwanted guest enters the house all my family members have to do is point and shoot. When nerves are on edge I figure it to be the best option for folks who don't shoot often.

Sad we even have to discuss home defense, but it is a crazy world these days. Police Blotter mentioned an armed group (2-3 people) knocked on the door of a house a few streets away. Guy slammed the door on them and I guess they just left. Homeowner was pretty lucky...
Old 07-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: best bullet for 44 mag.

Amen...00 Buck for home, .40 S&W 180 gr. Hydra-Shoks for carry.

You hear about that home invasion in Accokeek?

Quick Reply: Home Defense bullet choice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.