Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Any expirences with Browning A Bolt with BOSS >

Any expirences with Browning A Bolt with BOSS

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Any expirences with Browning A Bolt with BOSS

Old 07-03-2004, 08:57 PM

Default Any expirences with Browning A Bolt with BOSS

I am looking into a browning abolt composite stalker with boss in 30-06 caliber. One of the guys at the club says he will never buy anything else. I know these things are loud!! But is the accuracy very impressive with it? Or should i just buy the composite stalker without the boss?
Old 07-04-2004, 07:25 AM

Default RE: Any expirences with Browning A Bolt with BOSS

I hunt with a man who has a Browning a-bolt 7mag (I think it's a silver gold medallion, a very fine looking firearm). His has the boss on it, and it is loud as heck. BUT, it will group 3 shots into a half inch at 100 yds with handloads of 150gr nosler partitions. The boss on his can be adjusted in minute increments.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I owned an a-bolt with boss for a short time.Yes you can dial the gun in for different loads,but I could obtain the same accuracy with proper load development.The standard boss does reduce recoil but is does make the gun extremely loud to the point where a single shot without hearing protection will make your ears ring.The barrels on the boss equipped rifles are shorter to compensate for the length of the boss so they do produce less velocity than the rifles without the boss.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:53 AM

If you reload, the BOSS system is not needed. If you don't reload the BOSS system will help you tune the rifle to what ever ammo you want to shoot. I have the system on my rifle and do like it. For me it was money well spent.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

A friend of mine has several of them but he has had problems with his 375 H&H (cant get less than 3 inch group at 100 yards) he sent it to a gunsmith and he had the same problem with the same gun and they sent it to browning and he hasnt gotten it back yet.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

my friend has one in 223.....and he reloads....talk about accurate....with his loads and the boss dialed in we could put them in one hole at 100....one day it was snowing freezing and a rough crosswind....shooting winchseter fmj loads just to shoot.....and that was the first time i shot the rifle....and i could cover my groups with a quarter at 100yds....he has cheap glass on it too i think.....i think he has a BSA on it of all things...becuase he was bragging about the lighted reticle.....but i just laughed beacuse its a BSA.....i never heard anything good about them scopes.....but i do like the rifle....and would buy one in a second if i found one and hte price was right.....good shooting gun.....
Old 07-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally I'd opt without, far too loud! I never noticed much change with the boss in accuracy and like SJ pointed out shorter barrel results in velocity loss. Mine was 338 win so recoil was reduced (main objective), but never could get over the sound she threw(even in the field hearing protection should be worn).

One can reduce trigger pull,spend some time with finding load combos and on the range to equal what the Boss will give you in terms of accuracy, at half the noise and more speed.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

Hi RC:

Are you considering the BOSS for the reduced recoil feature? In .30-06, you should be just fine with the BOSS CR (should be included free of additional charge). You will still have the ability to adjust for loads, without the ear splitting headache. Everytime I think of muzzlebrakes, I think of this post (plagiarized from someone on the AR site):

Ain't it grand putting in ear plugs and putting on the muffs as well, squinting your eyes and opening your mouth so the overpressure wave doesn't blow out your sinuses, and torching off the old howizter under the tin roof over the benches...
I mean dogs start barking, kids start crying, cows miscarry, and Mr. Rambolina with the tricked out Wilson Combat Masterpiece 1911 comes over and whines: "Hey man, that's kind of loud." Then you take off the muffs and say "What?" "Oh, my shirt." "Yeah it is kind of bright."

I enjoy my Brownings, just not the noise.

Good Luck
CE
Old 07-06-2004, 12:16 AM

rc,
I have exactly the same rifle you are referring to in 270. It is extremely loud just as everyone has said but I have only shot it once without ear protection and it only took once. That being said, I am not a reloader of ammo and I buy factory loads to shoot. I have dialed in the BOSS for Winchester Ballistic Silvertips in 130 gr and the gun is deadly accurate. In fact it is more accurate than both of my model 70's in 30.06 and 243. If you wear ear protection then you will enjoy this gun very much.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:43 PM

I've had my Browning a-bolt II Stainless Stalker for a few years now. One thing is for sure, it is loud with the brake. The first time I shot it without ear protection, I curled up in the fetal position and started sucking my thumb! My ears rang for 3 days....not fun. I changed over to the CR attachment and that was much better. I usually use the brake at the range and the CR in the field. I was worried about how changing from one to the other would affect accuracy but it wasn't noticeable. As far as dialing in the loads goes, it took me a long time to find my "sweet spot" for my hunting load but once you do, you will be happy. I have a sweet spot setting of 7.0 for Speer 125gr TNT loads for varminting, and 2.5 setting for Speer 165gr Hot-Cor Boat tails for deer. I have days when I can shoot .500" groups, other days much larger. Makes me wonder if something is off or the reloading process was a little different, then I go back another day and back to .500" groups again. Must be me! But what I am getting at is if you are inconsistant like me, finding the sweet spot can take a while. Don't give up on a setting too quickly until you try it a couple of times on different days. I am very happy with this gun overall, it needed nothing out of the box. 60deg bolt throw is nice fof clearance between your thumb and the scope. Barrel is free floating from the factory also. I will have this gun forever!

Quick Reply: Any expirences with Browning A Bolt with BOSS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.