Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 More help with my Swedish Mauser. >

More help with my Swedish Mauser.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

More help with my Swedish Mauser.

Old 06-23-2004, 08:44 AM

Default More help with my Swedish Mauser.

Thank you to all who replied to my previous post on this topic, but upon futher investigation, my action which I was under the understanding was a Model 94 carbine, appears to be a different action. So I'll go into more detail, and hopefully someone has one of these. The BBL length is 18", there are no external safties, but there appears to be a knurled thumb tab which serves as a gas blocker in event of a case rupture. By lifting up on this, being attached to the bolt itself, raises the bolt handle to a half-cock, thus making it unfireable. The top of the reciever is slotted on the rear portion, allowing the bolt handle to pass through. And that bolt handle by the way, is located in the ejection port, as opposed to being behind the reciever, like most mausers. On the rear of the bolt, there is a knurled, round piece which appears to me to be for disassembly. A rectangluar shaped "guide" is attached to the previously mentioned part, and sits on the left side of the bolt. It slides in the left side of the reciever and also appears to be a gas block. It is appox. 2 1/2 inches in length. The BBL is stamped with: GARDONE VT, on the top behind the fixed rear sight. SB 6458, with a backwards DC in that order below these numbers. 942M on the other side of the other numbers. Both of which are on the sides of the BBL behind the sight. There are no other legible stampings anywhere else on the bbl or action. The front recoil lug is small, with sides that are angled about 50 degrees, and only about 1/2 inch in height. The bolt has two locking lugs, and there is a gas escape port on the top, which is then facing the right side when the bolt is closed. The bolt handle is attached to the top behind the gas port by about 3 1/2 inches. And the handle is bent to let it sit on the side of the bolt. The rear sight is stamped 6.5, and appears to be removable with one screw that goes in from right to left. The trigger is very simple and operates both the sear and bolt release. Versi, does this sound familiar to you? I was lokking at photos of an M94, and it appears to be quite different. Does anyone else have one of these, It appears to be in good shape, with a little surface rust, but otherwise, I'd like to use this rifle as a testbed for my first hand carved stock. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Again, thanks to all for taking the time to read this post and to all who answer.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:29 AM

Default RE: More help with my Swedish Mauser.

Hmmm, to be honest there are some bells ringing, but they don't ring like a Mauser at all.

A slotted rear portion to allow the bolt handle to pass through?

Bent bolt handle?

Gardone?

Some how this rings a bell like "Mannlicher" or perhaps even Mannlicher-Schönauer.. Too, these rifles used 6.5 caliber cartridges.

Does it have an external single collumn magazine? or a rotary magazine?

The trigger you describe does sound an awfull lot like a Mannlicher-Carcano to me

I know some Mauser-Mannlicher-third party national designs were used from say 1887 on by a few European countries perhaps it is one of these?

Mauser actions typically don't have the open rear receiverbridge most other designers used, foremost Mannlicher designs, except very very old Mauser models. Could you possibly post a picture of the action?

Moreover, If my info is correct, Gardone was an Italian arsenal prior to 1943. The home of the Mannlicher Carcano designs. If I'm correct, that rifle was made in many shapes, including carbines and used a cartridge known as 6.5 x 52... as well as a 7.something mm

A picture would help, but my pictures are too large to upload here.

Anyways, it is a very intresting issue..

BTW!!! if it IS a Mannlicher Carcano, be extremely carefull before even thinking about firing it, the knurled knobs you describe, which make me think it is a Mannlicher carcano, have the tendency to crystalize and become very brittle...making it possible for pieces of bolt to go in an undesired direction when fired!!!

Kind regards,

Vesi
Old 06-23-2004, 09:47 AM

Sounds like an Italian Carcano. Check out this page and see if you find your rifle.

http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano/
Old 06-23-2004, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try looking at these...it does sound like a Carcano

http://images.google.com/images?q=it...ff&sa=N&tab=wi

Try clicking on any of the images, and when the next page comes up click on the image at the top again to see an enlarged view

The "Gardone VT" marking you mention is a common stamp
Gardone is the location of a branch of Berreta
Old 06-23-2004, 01:45 PM

I work with the pharaoh and have seen the gun in the before. It is an interesting old gun, I am looking forward to the after. You know I could sell you a Sako and save you time. Cheers
Old 06-24-2004, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, pharaoh...is it a Swede or a Carcano????
Old 06-24-2004, 09:34 PM

Thanks guys. I followed your links and identified my rifle as a Manlicher Carcano. I'm still going to make a foam casting of the chamber, and if I can source some Carcano brass, I'll remote test fire it to see if she goes boom! If not, I'll have an interesting project on my hands. Any ideas where to find brass? Again, thanks to all who took the time to read my post and respond.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=70818

Here's a cource for Norma stuff....it's expensive but high quality.
Just make sure your rifle is capable of average pressures for this round before touching one off

http://www.norma.cc/nladdtab/65car.htm

there are some other sources and if I come up with them I'll post 'em

http://www.norma.cc/nladdtab/65car.htm
Old 06-26-2004, 01:49 PM

Check with Bashaw Sports Centre, P&D Enterprises, or Ellwood Epps for ammo for your Mannlicher Carcano.