Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Barnes X or XLC in Swedish Mauser? >

Barnes X or XLC in Swedish Mauser?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Barnes X or XLC in Swedish Mauser?

Old 01-13-2003, 05:44 PM

Default Barnes X or XLC in Swedish Mauser?

Any of you guys tried to develop a load for your Swedish Mausers in 6.5X55 using either the Barnes X or Barnes XLC bullets? Reading the tips on the Barnes web site makes me think that maybe the Barnes X bullets and the Swedish Mauser barrels with their deep throats were made for one another. Any thoughts? I would like to shoot the 130 or 140 grain Barnes X or XLC for Elk out of my custom 6.5X55 mauser built on a Mauser 98 action with a Swedish Mauser barrel cut to 22" but before I spend the bucks for the bullets (not that its a big deal) I would like to hear from someone who has used them in a Swedish Military barrel with the fast (1 in 7.5) twist.

Never forget your dreams. Work very hard to make you dreams a reality.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Barnes X or XLC in Swedish Mauser?

Arkie,
I have a model 96 sporterized with a synthetic camo stock, cock on close converted from surplus. I'm getting psyched up to load for it and was intrigued by your question. What would your COL be with those bullets app? I'm shooting deer and coyotes strictly and would like to gain max velocity but not get too much pressure for the 96 action. Can you let me know what velocity you get out of the Barnes bullets and which powder worked best for you. My rifle also has a 22 inch barrel.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:45 PM
Typical Buck

Try 46.5gr of RL22 over a Rem 9 1/2 primer in front of the 140gr bullet. This is not a terribly heavy load, but start at 42.5gr and work your way up. If there are no pressure signs, the max load suggested should give about 2700fps with that bullet, making it quite a stopper. The 140gr bullet has a sectional density of .287, slightly greater than a 160gr 7mm bullet and much better than a 180gr .308-cal bullet. This translates into deep penetration, so for deer you may want to try lighter bullets.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 01-15-2003, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hate to say it, but trying to get every last bit of velocity out of a 96 action is like trying to get more speed out of a model T Ford. Taking advantage of the rifle's inherent accuracy will serve you much better by loading to maximize that quality.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?
Old 01-16-2003, 12:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have not tried the Barnes bullets in my 6.5 mauser yet. I have had it for years and I love Barnes X bullets. However the first group I ever shot with mine which is the Model 96 cut down to 24 inches, was a 3/4 inch 100 yd group with Hornady 140 grainers. I never even thought about trying to improve on that. I have taken a bunch of deer and few black bears with that load. This year I decided to try the 129 grain Hornady. I have not grouped this load yet as the weather has been terrable for several week here. I did run some over the chronograph the other day. I just run four but they read 2712,2722,2726 and 2722. My load was 45 grains of IMR 4350. My overall lenght was 3.010. These are back from the rifleing more than I would like but I think they have to be seated that far to stay in the case. I am going to try the Barnes coated 120 gr fb as soon as the weather improves. I can let you know how it works out.

Old 01-16-2003, 12:46 AM
Fork Horn

Briman...good sense. What load do you like for the 96 action?
James B keep me posted.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:56 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Ok, here is another one.
I have a box of handloaded rounds for the swedish. I was told that these were target rounds not hunting rounds. I would like to know what you think about this and why is it a target round.
6.5x55 Swedish Orbendorf M 38. I take it that the Orbendorf is the maker or where it was made.
They used a Rcbs bullet seater die OAL 4.326. What is the oal mean?
Bullet is a sierra matchking .264 Dia. Dia is what?
140 gr HPBT match. Is this High performance bolt tail? or what?
3.062 O.A.L? what is this?
Powder used was the IMR 4895
Primers Fed GM
Cases are Lapua
The second box is as follows
same cal
Case is RP trimed 2.150 Is this the total lenght?
Bullet type Sierra MK BT
Weight 140
Powder IMR 4895 37.8gr
Primer Fed 210 GM. What does this type do over the others?
Seating depth 3.143 Total die lenght RCBS 4.326. I think I understand the first part but how do you set the second part?
.010 off lauds. Again please explain
Thanks again,
Rick

Lifes not about knowing the answers, its about asking the questions.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

winchester brass (can't afford the good Norma stuff)
Federal match primer
140 gr Rem corelokt bullets.
46.5 gr. Reloader 22

I seat the bullet to the first canelure since the throats on my rifles are so long that there is no hope of getting close to them with the 140 gr bullet.

Old 01-16-2003, 10:57 PM

OK Who, let me see if I can help you out.

Orbendorf M38 I'm not familiar with. Got me there.

OAL=Overall length of round. 4.326 is definately wrong! 6.5swedes are not that long.

.264dia. is the diameter of the actual bullet.

HPBT stands for Hollowpoint Boattail.

3.062 might be an overall length of the round closer to realistic. I don't load for the 6.5mauser so I'm not sure of the measurements. I do know it's not 4" long though.

"Case is RP trimed 2.150 Is this the total lenght?" this is the length of the trimmed brass case.

"Primer Fed 210 GM. What does this type do over the others?" I pretty much only use CCI primers so I can't really answer that one.

Seating depth 3.143 Total die length RCBS 4.326. I think I understand the first part but how do you set the second part? This I don't know about either.

I hope this has answered some of your questions. Like I said before, I don't load for the 6.5Mauser so I am not sure what the measurements would be. I do know that the O.A.L is not 4". My advice would be to take your own measurements (or have someone do it if you can't) and consult at least one reloading manual before trying to use these loads. I would be scared to use them anyway. Some of the measurements are wrong(or at least labeled wrong) so whats to say that the rounds were loaded correctly. If it was me, I would pull these bullets and start over using the primed cases and bullets. That will be the only way to know they are safe.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>6.5x55 Swedish Orbendorf M 38. I take it that the Orbendorf is the maker or where it was made.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Oberndorf Mauser factory in Germany- probably between 1898 and 1900, there may be earlier years of manufacture but they would be extremely rare.

Quick Reply: Barnes X or XLC in Swedish Mauser?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.