Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 500 Smith and Wesson >

500 Smith and Wesson

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

500 Smith and Wesson

Old 05-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 500 Smith and Wesson

My local Gander Mountain has both the S&W Model 500 and the Magnum(b) Research BFR in .500S&W (like we're really supposed to buy the line from the boys at MR that the "F" in BFR really stands for "Finest." Well, I was born in the dark, but it wasn't last night! ).

First of all, I will say that the Model 500 IS a very nice revolver, definately on par with the Ruger Super Redhawk in every way except price. I think that if S&W made the X-frame in a .454 Casull I'd consider buying one, but until then I've got my sights set on a Ruger SRH .454 with a 7.5" bbl.

My jury is still out on the S&W case anyway. I might change my mind if the current President of S&W tattoo'd "KISS THIS GUN-GRABBERS!" on his butt and marched into a joint session of Congress and mooned the democrat side with the CSPAN cameras rolling. [8D] Then I might trust S&W again. Until S&W publicly states that they will not honor that agreement or make any such agreements in the future, I just don't think I can give them my hard earned money with a clear conscience. Like my Dad always says, "Screw me once, shame on you! Screw me twice, shame on me!"

As for the BFR, it's just way over the top IMO. The cylender is almost 3" long, as they are using the same cylinder that they use for the BFR in .45-70 (sado-masochists everywhere love this one! This thing offers you a way to hurt things and punish yourself at the same time!). Way too big to be practical...and what purpose does a pistol in .45-70 serve? Name one thing on this planet that can be killed with a .45-70 revolver that can't be killed with a .454 Casull. What the hell do people hunt with that thing? Whales?

Mike