Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Smith & Wesson

Old 10-29-2003, 05:00 PM

Default Smith & Wesson

Does anyone have or shot the SW99? Just curious as to what it would be worth to buy so my wife will get out and shoot with me. She has shot a couple of differant pistols and said she liked it. I' m thinking about getting something she can shoot and have a little fun plinking and I can carry as protection.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:13 PM

Default RE: Smith & Wesson

What kind of pistols has she shot? What calibers? The 9mm has a " sharp" recoil that many women find objectionable. Being a former law enforcement officer, I' ve seen many women handle the .40 and even the .45 caliber better than the 9mm. For some reason, they can handle the rearward push recoil of these better than the muzzle flip recoil of the 9mm. If you have one in your area, you might try taking her to an indoor pistol range. Many have weapons there that she could try out. It' s very important to let her decide what she likes and can handle, than force her to use something she doesn' t like. It could make it where she' ll never try anything again. When I was selling guns, I sold alot of .380 autos to women. I know, what good is a puny .380. I hear that alot. It' s better than alot of people think. Also, she may actually prefer a revolver due to it' s simplicity. Another thing to think about. Can she clear a jam if she needs to.

Enough preaching. Sorry. The SW99 is a nice firearm, but I think you' d both like the Glock better than it.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:13 AM

It' s very important to let her decide what she likes and can handle, than force her to use something she doesn' t like. It could make it where she' ll never try anything again.
Thanks Danny. You gave me the reminder that I needed. My wife is the type that doesn' t like to be pushed. She has to figure things out for her self. She might actually be better off with a 380 (get the hell off me gun) than the 9mm. We have a local gun shop with indoor range I will take her to.

Thanks. Your response was the one I was looking for. You seem to be the guru for guns.

Smitty
Old 10-30-2003, 04:44 AM

I have to agree with Danny on the 9mm. I bought a Lady Smith for my ex and she hated it. Of course she didn' t care for guns that much. Get a nice 357 wheel gun and then shoot 38 in it. This will give you more weight and less recoil. Good Luck.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:35 AM

I' ve handled and shot the SW99.

It' s a Walther with S&W markings. I can' t tell the difference. Some say that reliability is an issue...but that' s coming from Walther owners that are pissed that S&W makes their Walther for $100 less that what they paid.

Texas Parks and Wildlife has issued S&W99s to all of their field agents. I talked to a couple at the range about a month ago. They all were using Glocks in 9mm. However, TPW issued everyone a S&W99 in .40. They couldn' t stop talking about how they loved the gun and would never carry anything else.

I' ve shot it. I like it. It' s a nice full-sized auto. The interchangable grips are nice. I like the firing pin indicator and the decocker position. I like it better than the Glocks and Sigs that I' ve shot.

I' m a novice, however I really liked the S&W99.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:00 AM

You seem to be the guru for guns.
LOL Well, thanks, but there are alot more people here that know guns more than I do. I was just relating my experiences. What good is it to be old, and not have any experience???

Good luck, and I hope you can find something she likes and will stick with.