Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 would this be SAFE? >

would this be SAFE?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

would this be SAFE?

Old 05-01-2004, 09:19 PM

Default would this be SAFE?

hey all i went turkey huntin today but didnt have any luck with the turkeys so i decided to try callin in a coyote. 5 mins after calling a rusty colored coyote showed up about 60 yards away but i had my undertaker (.665 constriction) choke in. i had #4 buck and i was gonna switch from turkey loads but i ddint know if it was safe so i had to let him live...

so i wanna know if its safe to shoot #4 buck through an undertaker turkey choke? if its not, wut would be the largest size lead shot that would be safe to shoot through a turkey choke (.665)?

thanx for the help

ch312
Old 05-02-2004, 08:05 PM

Default RE: would this be SAFE?

CH, I have shot OO Buck through a Remington Ventilator which I believe has the same constriction as your Undertaker. Nothing blew up and I fired at least 4 rounds through it. However, the pattern was awful. I was trying to find the tightest pattern for deer hunting and that was not the way to get it. The big pellets do not like to be squeezed down that much, they scatter worse than with a mod. or full choke.
Because #4 Buck is so much smaller than what I was shooting it might not scatter as much. I do not know. The bigger question is, could you have changed shells in the chamber without spooking that yodel-dog away?
I know this though, if I am hunting and a coyote comes within range of me I am going to cut loose at him unless I have #7 or smaller in the gun. They have decimated the small game in my hunting area. Better luck next time!