Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mmRUM

Old 04-28-2004, 10:14 AM

Default 7mmRUM

Does anyone know what Remington is doing with Factory loads for the 7mm RUM? I noticed that the only round showing in their catalog for the 7mmRUM is 140 gn cor lokt Ultra. When I purchased the rifle, Remington was loading 140s, 160s, and 175 gn rounds. Is their a problem with the heavier loads for the 7mm RUM? Any info would be helpful. I am not a reloader, and very dissapointed if the 140 is the only available round for such a big cartridge.....
Old 04-28-2004, 10:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 7mmRUM

I have heard that they will only offer one factory load for this rifle. Time to start reloading for it.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I have noticed remington has cut back on a lot of there factory loads. May be its a supply and demand thing. Ive noticed with the calib. that are not as popular. Not to say the 7mm rum isnt. Id love to have a 7mm rum, flat shooter.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:14 PM
bigcountry

Take a look at thier finanical statement from last quarter and it would explain it. They took a beating in their ammo line last several quarters due to WSM sales. So what was the brilliant answers from the CEO's and big wigs. Hey lets streamline ammo and only make the most popular.

This is something I know a bit about in business. Its risky, basically your appealing to wall street on a quarter to quarter basis making your numbers. Problem is in the process, your customers get screwed, and then take thier business elsewhere. No long term thinking. Now, they are selling 7mmRUM, and 300RUM like hotcakes. Its in their financials. There way of thinking is cut everywhere instead of ammo that is not flying out the doors. Its called lowering your part number count. When I learned extensivly about american business practices, its amazing we even make a profit.

Old 04-28-2004, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

My brother bought a Sako Deluxe 7mm RUM last month with the idea of shooting the 160gr Nosler Partitions. When I checked the Remington website last week and saw the only load they had was the 140 core lokt, I sent them an email asking if that was correct. Their response was that the NP had been dropped from their line. I can only assume that that means there is now only one factory load for this round. It looks like Remington is trying to nail the coffin shut on their own round. Since my brother hasn't fired the gun yet, Scheel's is giving him a full price credit trade twards the same gun in 7mm Rem. Mag. I don't think he'll have a problem finding ammo for that gun for quite some time.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:46 PM
Dominant Buck

All I can say is thank God for reloading. I have a 300wby and they have cut back on those as well. They carry only the 180 express.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

With all of the new calibers that Remington and Winchester have flooded the market with the last couple of years, some are bound to go belly-up!
Since I don't reload I will stick to the proven calibers!