Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Taurus 605CHB or Smith 640? >

Taurus 605CHB or Smith 640?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Taurus 605CHB or Smith 640?

Old 04-24-2004, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Taurus 605CHB or Smith 640?

I turn 21 next week and will be able to take my CCW class soon thereafter (when I start working again), and want to buy a small frame revolver for concealed carry. I went to the gun shop today and looked at a couple revolvers. One is a Taurus 605 hidden hammer, .357, 5 shot, blued finish, cost $349. The other is a Smith model 640, hidden hammer, .357, 5 shot, ss finish cost $529. I don't really care that the prices are different, that does not concern me. Both guns feel good in my hands when I hold them. They are both small enough to easily conceal, so no larger guns will do. I can't decide which one I want to get. Has anybody had any experience with any of the two revolvers? What other revolvers do you know of that are of good quality and small framed? Any other thoughts on why I should take one over the other? I know that Taurus uses some of Smith and Wessons old patents, so the designs are very similar, and the feel is the same. Any help in deciding would be great. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2004, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Taurus 605CHB or Smith 640?

Congrats on becoming legal age Charlie Brown. It was a long time coming huh?

Any of the "J" frame S&W's are excellent carry guns.The Model 649 S/S, with the shrouded hammers make fine carry guns. They don't snag on your clothing when pulling out. Because the hammer is shouded instead of concealed it can be fired S/A.Another suggestion is look at the Ruger SP101.They are available in several different calibers.Try as many small framed Revolvers you can and decide which one feels the best to you.I do have a S&W model 649 (pre S&W agreement)and it's very comfortable to carry.It's my secondary carry gun.If I were to do it over again the Ruger SP101 would be my choice. They are stronger and will hold up better to constant use.Though a little bit larger then the "J" frame Smith.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another thought came to mind, Look for a used Colt Detective Special, Agent or Cobra.6 shots instead of 5 in 38 Spl.If you're going to carry it ,it will get banged up anyway. A used gun might be a better choice.There are allot of Used Smith's Colt's and Ruger's out there.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-25-2004, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Ruger-Redhawk for the input. Never really thought about buying a used gun. I like to buy new things for the most part, although the 1991-A1 that I (umm, my dad) bought last year was used (and works flawlessly), so I guess its not such a bad idea. I didn't see any used ones I(revolvers) at the gun shop, so will have to go to the pawn shops, but around here you can buy new guns for the same price or close to it than the pawn shops want! Not always a good deal around here. I would use the 1991 for carrying, but it is pretty big and heavy for something to carry around all day long.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're welcome CB.You have another opition. Watch the gun auctions and www.gunsamerica.com. You can find anything you're looking for. GA is not an auction. The price is there in black and white.You can do some bickering over the price but most won't give.You'll have to get it sent to a FFL dealer.Before buying see how much the FFL dealer will charge you for the transfer fee.You also have to account for the shipping.That all adds up in the final price.You can find good buys but you need to do your homework.Good luck to you
Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-25-2004, 02:49 PM

C-B There is one other that might interest you that is the S&W 940. It is the same frame as the 640 but is in 9mm and uses full moon clips which make for fast reloads as you can carry extras loaded.

Atrox
Old 04-26-2004, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

CB, all of the above mentioned ones will serve you just fine. One thing to keep in mind about the small 357s is, "follow-up" shots will be tougher with that kind of recoil. I'd probably go with a 649 S&W.(Bodyguard) or the Ruger SP101 in 38 Special. Both are DA, stainless, and can handle +P loads. If you are considering an "air-weight" pistol and plan on shooting +P loads, make sure that it can handle it. Most of the newer ones will have "38 Special +P" stamped on the barrel. As with any gun purchase, do your homework and go with what "fits" you the best. Good luck and happy early B-Day.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:43 AM
RPL

If you plan on pocket carry, I would consider an airweight or titanium over a steel revolver. If you plan on carrying it in a holster all the time, the weight difference isn't as much of an issue.
The S&W is a better made gun than the Taurus. A Smith's double action trigger is definitly superior.
I own a S&W 340 Titanium/Scandium 357 Mag. It is my favorite warm weather carry gun. I can slip it in my pocket and barely know it's there.