Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ** Shooting a "Home Invader"?? ** >

** Shooting a "Home Invader"?? **

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

** Shooting a "Home Invader"?? **

Old 03-31-2004, 01:06 PM

Default RE: ** Shooting a "Home Invader"?? **

I know I am from Texas and we have a reputation down here and all, but if someone I don't know comes into my house, and I have made it clear that he needs to leave or be shot, and he keeps advancing towards me. I am aiming center-mass and double tapping him. Most people who are shot are shot with their own gun because they tried to find another way other than shoot. NEVER try subduing an intruder in your home!

The last thing I want to have to do is shoot someone but I will if they leave no other choice. If I lived in a state that said I had to run out of my own house rather than protect it, I WOULD MOVE. That is unbelievable.

As far as "stopping" rather than "killing" goes, I promise if you hit a man center mass with a .45 he will stop. In the interview you should use the words "I was trying to stop him" and not "trying to kill him".

Just remember there are no do overs. I would rather take the chance of spending some time than costing any of my family members their life.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Aught Six beat me to it- but stoke them with your 870. If you do it right, there is no way they are going to grab it from you.
Yep, lightning fast.

NOTE: I should add that I would not go up and just pound some guy with my shotgun on initial contact. I would only whack him if he didn't heed the barrel in his face and kept coming after me without a weapon.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Living in Colorado like bigbulls my decision can be made alot easier like he said with the "make my day" law since I can shoot anyone in my house.

With your senario if I met someone half way up the stairs with my shotgun in tow if I saw any type of weapon they would get a load in the chest as quick as I could pull the trigger. If there was no weapon that I could see he would be told to raise his hands over his head and if there were any sudden moves or he didn't comply he would get a load in his chest. If he complyed with my commands the little woman would be told to tell the police that I have a man on the stairs and I have a gun trained on him so they will know what to expect when they enter my home.

But under my circumstances my german shepard would have taken care of the problem the minute they entered my home and I probably would just wake up to a bloody mess in the morning since I'm a sound sleeper.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok allow me help with this question as i am a police officer, I will give you the truth under New Jersey law, but most likey applies to other states.

you & your wife are asleep, you here someone in your house, she calls 911, you grab your firearm, you meet this dirt bag on your steps, he's unarmed, but you point your gun towards him, tell him to stop, but keeps coming towards you, you CAN NOT fire your firearm, he's unarmed, makes no sense to me as a cop, but thats the law.

same set up, but this time he as a gun, yes you CAN fire your gun, but always aim for center mass. if this dirt bag runs after you fire, falls and dies on your front lawn, DON NOT touch him, during the investigation they will see that you shot him on your steps, he turned and ran, died in the yard.

lets say GOD forbid, your wife or you are home alone, this dirt bag breaks in he's 6'4" 275lbs., your wife is 5'3" 110lbs, your 5'7" 170lbs. he attacks one of you but is unarmed, because of the large difference in body size and weight you both may use Deadly FORCE, because you can or will get serious bodily injure or serious bodly harm.

what it boils down to is that the investigating officers and others will look at the TOTALITY OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES

i hope this will help you and your family, and hoping that no one ever has to go thru this.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:33 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

If you feel the need to make a point, when you didn't have too, thats between you and your maker one day. I am not sure how he would feel about it. I just know how I would feel.
Check out this site. Maybe it will help.

http://www.ryanhicksministries.com/weapons.htm
Old 03-31-2004, 01:56 PM

You know what? Any law that says you have to RETREAT from your own PRIVATE PROPERTY from an intruder is crap. I will run from my house because of some drug-addicted scumbag the same day that Bill Clinton comes to the range with me. I have NO DESIRE TO KILL ANYONE! However, if there was a remote chance that my family or loved ones would be harmed, the law does not cross my mind. In the words of John Locke, the governments sole job is to protect life, liberty, and estate. How are the protecting either by making you flee from your own home because of an invader? Screw that, not worth it to me. BANG!
Old 03-31-2004, 02:06 PM

Jst took the Minnesota Personal Pertection class this past weekend. As I understood it, in Minnesota, if someone is in your house, your are likely justified, much more so than out on the street. Now the comment about shot in the front vs back are accurate, but generally, if someone is in your house and is not heeding your orders, you are justified. In answer to the question at the onset, I WOULD WITHOUT FAIL, SHOT TO KILL!!!!!!!! Center mass shot only with good ol' 12ga, 3" #2's will stop anyone at 10-20 feet!
Old 03-31-2004, 02:35 PM

Former cop, different State here.

Someone else mentioned the fact that most people are killed with their own guns when confronting an intruder. Someone also mentioned the fact that since the intruder is nude, he's possibly disturbed, or maybe even on drugs. Until you've fought someone on PCP, you just can't understand how someone of small stature can whip up on a big guy. In most fight situations, the losing party usually loses simply because the pain factor overwhelms their urge to continue to battle. In alot of cases where a subject is high, or delusional, they have no pain, therefore your attempts to subdue or injure is fruitless.

The fact that someone has forced entry into your home (1st degree burglary in Oklahoma if it is occupied at the time) and the fact that the subject is not wearing clothing tells me he is up to no good. (should be obvious). At this point, you don't hesitate, you don't look him in the eyes, you don't even warn the maggot. You fire center mass until the subject is no longer a threat. If he survives, well, you wounded him. If he doesn't, well, he won't be around to sue you for it. There have been cases here where a homeowner has even chased an intruder back into the street and shot him. No prosecution. In Oklahoma, you don't have to be in danger of losing your life, all you have to be is "in fear of death or great bodily harm".
Old 03-31-2004, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

Like some have said, I don't think that any of us knows exactly what we'd do in a situation like that unless you HAVE been there. But, I've go over this in my mind many times, trying to come with some sort of plan. If after I told him plainly to leave or be shot, he keeps coming, he's shot!! My first firearm for defense is a 12ga SXS with barrels cut at 18 1/2 inches. The first shot should put his butt back to the bottom of the steps and, should he live through that one, I'll have another round to keep him at bay until the law shows up. The last thing that I would want to do is take a life, but if its my family or him, he's in serious trouble.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:00 PM

I guess I will be the first one to suggest nonlethal weapons. I personaly don't want to ever kill a guy. Even a bad guy. Tazers, pepper spray, rubber shot gun slugs or mayber all three. I guess I'm getting soft in my old age.

Quick Reply: ** Shooting a "Home Invader"?? **

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.