Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Affordable Varmint Gun >

Affordable Varmint Gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Affordable Varmint Gun

Old 02-14-2002, 04:40 PM

Default Affordable Varmint Gun

Im looking for something for coyote hunting and overall shooting, and im on a pretty tight budget. I only want to spend about $300, and im not really wanting a single shot. Something cheap to shoot, maybe .223 or 7.62x39? I could get a sks with aftermarket stock and all the options fairly cheap, but is it worth it?Any good suggestions?
Old 02-14-2002, 06:16 PM

Default RE: Affordable Varmint Gun

I,d look for a used bolt action in what ever caliber is allowed for coyote hunting in your state unless you're gonna take it out west for praire dogs you should also get it in a caliber suitable for deer. Since you mentioned the sks .30 cal sounds like an option. So anything from .223 to .30 in a good used gun like any basic model Savage Remington etc.,. Or a Swedish Mauser should sell for under $300 and makes a great coyote/deer rifle with the right loads. I'd stay away from the sks though not bad but not the best sights or easy to mount a scope solidly.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:22 PM
XTP

Look for a used rifle in .223 Rem. It is offered in more factory loads than the 7.62x39...and military surplus ammo is very affordable for plinking or an afternoon over a gopher town.Savage rifles are truly the "diamond in the rough",they are usually much cheaper than other brands,but have a habit of making all their bullets go through one hole in the target!(Yes...I do own a Savage!)
Old 02-14-2002, 09:25 PM
XTP

PS: Whatever rifle you look at,just be sure to inspect the barrel carefully! Rifles that have been used alot may be badly fouled with copper or the rifling may literally be worn out....good luck...
Old 02-15-2002, 08:04 AM

Higg,
What's wrong with a single shot? I convert all my bolt action varmint guns to single shot. You are looking for moa accuracy in a varmint gun not fast follow up shots. The NEF single shots would be a good choice. Save the big $ for good optics.

Rem. 222
Old 02-17-2002, 10:21 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]