Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Cleaning rods? >

Cleaning rods?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Cleaning rods?

Old 02-24-2004, 07:10 PM
Spike

Default Cleaning rods?

Will a 36" Dewey cleaning rod leave sufficient exit length for a 24" barrel and a Stoney Point bore guide? The next longest length I can find is 44" which would seem to be about 6" more than necessary. Also, the coated Dewey's come with a brass adapter for 8/32 which it seems is the standard for all brushes, mops and jags. Wouldn't copper solvents erode it? Or is stainless the way to go? Dewey SS rods are 8/32 solving the brass adapter issue. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2004, 06:24 AM

Default RE: Cleaning rod length?

It should, J. Dewey rods are measured by the 'working' length of the rod so you would have an actual 36" of usable rod length.
Wes
Old 02-25-2004, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you also considered a BoreTech rod? I have both a Dewey and a BoreTech and I like the BoreTech a lot better.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

36" Dewey rod is fine for your application even if it had a 26" barrel..I have a couple of them and all have given good service and they have a very tough coating on them. The Boretech while a fine rod has a sprayed on coating which is subject to wear and tear more so then the nylon on a Dewey.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

oldelkhunter, that has not been my experience. The coating on my Boretech has held up fine so far, while the Dewey has at least a couple places where it has come off. Just my experience.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Solitary Man...that was a quote from a dealer that sells both and it sort of made sense to a degree and then again he could have been pushing deweys that day who knows... I think the ball bearing handle on the Boretech is smoother but Deweys has recently changed their handle also... My most heavily used Dewey is almost 14 years old and the finish has been scratched up rather well but not to the metal . Both are better then pretty much anything out there.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The main thing I like about the Boretech is the handle. It's just a lot more comfortable to hold. I also like the fact that it rotates effortlessly. You're right that these two are probably the class of the field.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:41 PM

Default RE: Cleaning rods?

schunter,
I use Dewey 36" coated rods for all my rifle cleaning. The 36" rod and the Stoney Point guide will work fine on a gun w/ a 24" barrel. A Stoney Point guide and 36" rod will even work on most calibers of rifles w/a 26" barrel also. One exception I've personally come across is a Ruger VT in .223 using the Stoney Point bore guide and 36" Dewey rod. My jag will only protrude 5/16" out the end of the barrel, not far enough for the patch to fall off, but the same gun in .22/250 has about 1 1/4" of jag protruding out the end of the barrel because of the differences in the chamber size. To solve this, I ordered a J. Dewey bore guide which is 1 1/4" shorter than the Stoney Point guide. A cheaper way to get around this is to remove the solvent port of the Stoney Point guide, but then it gets messier shoving a wet patch into the end of a bore guide w/o a solvent port.