Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Barrel Cleaning >

Barrel Cleaning

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Barrel Cleaning

Old 02-18-2004, 01:14 PM

Default Barrel Cleaning

How long could a non-stainless steel quality rifle (Weatherby Vanguard) stand with a dirty bore (after 50 rounds or so Rem Core Lokt) before permanent damage sets in? I try my best to clean after shooting but sometimes it doesn't get done immediately. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:37 PM

Default RE: Barrel Cleaning

I don't think it will hurt in at all. I clean mine at the shooting range then fire a one round through it after cleaning. You see after you clean and oil you have a film that will send your first shot off a little.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's not going to hurt the rifle at all unless there is moisture in the gun. Moisture would cause rust and that is bad. The gun powder and copper is not going to hurt the barrel at all. I may or may not make your accuracy suffer after many many rounds but it won't hurt the gun.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Joe you'll be fine, just use good solevants like sweets, CR10, etc and clean her as often as you can. I have seen rifle sit for much longer than 50 shots that cleaned up with a little effort and a number of patches.

Tpoiler shot theory, well true with some guns not all require a fired shot to keep POI. Yes oil will cause a shift in POI as increases the pressure in the bore...it is never a good idea to fire a CF with oil in bore as it can be potentially dangerous![] As such I always ensure my bores are dry before I shoot them. A routine can be set up to ensure your maintaining your rifle as well as prevent this increase of pressure and worries about shifting POI. While your method works, it does have a potential side effects if excessive oil or film was left by some...therefore I would never suggest or agree with this method. Just my 2 cents worth
Old 02-19-2004, 01:26 PM
bigcountry

You know my gunsmith says a barrel will be pitted if not cleaned out. He was showing me thru a borescope a springfield 45 barrel a guy never cleaned but shot like 600 round thru over a period of time. Maybe it is the rust. I never really did understand what he was talking about.

Old 02-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

You won't have any problems as long as it gets cleaned at some sort of regular interval. I personally clean my barrel during range sessions about every 20 rds with just solvent and patches. Then when I get home I clean thoroughly and oil it. Before shooting again I'll run a wet patch followed by a dry one. After the last range session before rifle season I'll verify zero and clean it, then fire 2 rds and that's how it stays until after the season.