Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Left cleaning rod in barrel >

Left cleaning rod in barrel

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Left cleaning rod in barrel

Old 07-06-2007, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Left cleaning rod in barrel

A buddy of mine left the rod inside the barrel of his Omega and fired the gun. He was using 100g of pellets and 250 gr shockwave bullet.
The scope gave him a pretty nasty gash above his eye as it knocked him off his bench.
The question...Is the gun safe to shoot? He says there are no visible signs of damage on the outside of the barrel and just looking down the barrel he can not see anything out of the ordinary.(he does not have a bore scope).
I really didn't know what to tell him. I know i've read on here a few times where it has happened to guys but I don't recall what the effects were on the barrel safety.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Left cleaning rod in barrel

WOW!!! What a powerful Spear Gun!

I don't think there is any damage to the Gun Barrel, maybe the Shooter!
Old 07-06-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL! That's AWESOME!!! I would have loved to have seen that one on video!!! [8D]

All kidding aside, as dorky of a stunt as it sounds, I've heard of others doing it and it never sounded like any harm was ever done to the rifle. It's just a good thing your buddy or someone else wasn't hurt.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:05 AM

Danny, I think your, I mean you "buddy's" Omega is probably ok. Hope yer healin up!

There are at least a couple on this board that have admitted to it in the past. Hopefully they will chime in on this.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Good to hear there was no serious injury. With that being said,
. Your buddy just did what a good number of others have done at some point in time.He's definately in good company. Though it may haveknock him on hisa$$, if it's a good quality muzzleloader, it probably didn't hurt anything. Check the barrel for any unusual bulges or signs of stress and look the stock over for any cracks and such. If nothings found, it should be fine to shoot.I'll bet he won't forget to pull the rodagain.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. Funny thing was he didn't know what happened. I had to pick up his daughter at the hopital while he was getting the stitches. When we were there he told me he didnt know why it kicked so hard.

Later on we went back to his property to put all his stuff away and he couldnt find his rod..hmmmm. We found it a good piece down range.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

First off, glad to hear that your friend is all right. Although those scope kisses can be nasty, I am sure it will be a scar to remember. Just think of the energy that ramrod had. That powder charge, the projectile, and the weight of that ramrod. Talk about a big load in a rifle. Of course, that also shows the quality of the steel used in a Thompson Center Barrel. By the way, I know of many people that have sent their ramrods down range. He is not in some exclusive club.

As for the rifle, I would be very sure that the rifle is still true and fine. If the owner has any real doubt take it to a gunsmith and have it checked. Otherwise, since it is an Omega and you can look through the barrel, remove the breech plug, look through the barrel and examine it for any stress cracks inside and out. I am almost positive there are not. Then set the barrel on a known flat level surface and check to see there are no bows in the barrel. Roll the barrel back and fourth. It will show true most likly.

Cain's Outdoor http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/cart/asp/catalog_index.asp sells a Super Rod that will replace that one.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:30 PM

I did something similar a few years back - forgot the adapter that goes from my range rod threads to the special brass seater jag made for Barnes X bullets. So I just started the bullet, got the jag going down the barrel, and finished the job with the range rod. About then the cell phone rang.

Twenty minutes later I got off the phone and pulled the range rod out of the bore. The recoil, with 150 grains of Pyrodex pellets,almost knocked me off the bench. Downrange 50 yards, I could see the bullet hole and just below it was the perfect outline of that big brass jag where it went through the target sideways. No damage to the gun. Some temporary damage to the shooter.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:43 PM

let your friend know that hes not alone. I shot my winchester's ramrod and a 385 grain bullet with 90 grains of powder. Talk about a good kick! Just run a tight patch down the barrel, you'll feel a bulge in the barrel with a really tight patch. Luckily i didnt hurt my rifle. Also remove the barrel from the stock and check for cracks.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone who shoots alot will eventually see that happen. I have seen it a few times over the years, and did it myself once(from the firing line at a silhouette shoot). We had a fellow at the range bulge a barrel one time. But it is my belief the the ram rod was not sitting on the charge. It appeared the rod was most of the way out of the barrel when he pulled the trigger. The ramrod did not go down range, it splintered right there. Check the barrel for bulge. If you do not know how, then have it done by someone who does.

Remember Murphy's Law. Tom.

Quick Reply: Left cleaning rod in barrel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.