Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 need your advice Q.D. rings >

need your advice Q.D. rings

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

need your advice Q.D. rings

Old 02-06-2004, 04:18 AM

Default need your advice Q.D. rings

i just ordered a 1.75-6X32mm variX-III scope. the only problem i see is that i have a lyman peep sight on back. so i will have to take the top part off to put a scope on.
what do you guys think of Q.D. leupold rings . also say for some reason i went back to the lyman peep sight. would the Q.D. rings stay on zero?
Old 02-06-2004, 05:03 AM

Default RE: need your advice Q.D. rings

Hi Quilly,

I have the Leupold Q.D. bases and rings with a Vari-X III, 1.5X5, on my Model 673, chambered in .350 Remington Magnum. This is my first season with this rifle/set-up. I haven't had an opportunity to remove the scope and recheck zero yet, (waiting on the weather).

A number of years ago I had Warnes Q.D. which was very similar to the current Leupolds.....and they worked as advertised. Zero....remove scope.....reinstall scope....and still zeroed. I'm hoping the Leupold's work as well.

I'm looking for a peep sight myself. (I'd like to find one that mounts into the rear Q.D. base after the scope is removed. Similar to the system that Sako and CZ previously used...not CZ's fold down....but their detachable) That way I could zero both the scope and peep and switch between them at will....with the zero maintained. I think I remember seeing exactly that system....but don't remember if it was made my Leupold...or another company.

Good luck with your project!

Dave
Old 02-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Spike

Dave,
New England Custom Gun has a peep that fits into a weaver type QR base. Cabelas has it in their new shooting catalog for $80 as I recall. Don't think I've seen anything that would work with the Leupold QR base though. You could go with Warne QR bases and rings and then use the NECG peep. That is what I have planned for my Marlin 1895.

Gobuffs
Old 02-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-07-2004, 04:32 AM
Fork Horn

We have Leupold QD mounts on an Encore and an Omega. They both go right back to zero when the scope is replaced.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:09 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Brownells sells a peep that fits several types of scope mounts.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:36 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses and the info. It is appreciated!

Dave
Old 02-12-2004, 04:20 AM

gobuffs..

do you have a link to this sight. when i sent my 35whelen down to 1shot_1kill to do his magic. which i have to say is top notch and outstanding. i was a boob and had him install a lyman rear peep sight . so if put a scope on her i would have to take the luman peep sight off. then put it back on if i decide to go with the peep sights.

i even wonder if these peep sight mounts will actually work?
Old 02-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Spike

Newenglandcustomgun.com as I recall. Internet filter at work won't allow me to double check......but I can get on this site???
I read about this peep in a mag, don't remember which one. Writer seemed impressed, used it as a backup to his scope. Said it held zero after being removed and replaced several times. Also look for it at cabelas.com, it is in their 2004 shooting catalog. Sounds like a great fix for someone that wants scope and iron options on their rifle but doesn't want to go with scout (forward mount) setup. I'm going to set up my marlin 1895 45-70 this way.
GOBUFFS
Old 02-13-2004, 05:01 AM

gobuffs..

i found the site . but it is a sight that fits on a weaver rail so i don't know if i would have room to put her on the same rail as my scope. unless i take it off, mark where it should go and do it that way.
i never liked weaver rails myslef. JMHO