Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

See Thru Rings?

Old 01-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default See Thru Rings?

I brought up putting see thru rings on my next BP and recieved two mixed reviews on them on another thread. I have never used them and they seem like a good idea, it seems like about 25% of my shots on deer this season were within 20 yards.

I thought it would be nice to use both, but do these work well?

The kind I was going to get are the Gorilla grips that can be found of the TC website. They will go on an Omega or Encore for me.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: See Thru Rings?

I installed a set of see thru rings on a rifle and in well over 30 years have never used the open sights.
Al
Old 01-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Personally I do not like see through rings. I like a rifle as close to the stock as possible so there is no neck stretching to get a sight picture. When you mount a scope they say thefinal test is, close your eyes, and pull the rifle to your shoulder. Now open your eyes and you better be looking through the center of that scope.

Before I'd go with see through, I would make an adjustment to the kind of scope I use. On my Black Diamond XR for instance, I use a 1.5-4.5x32mm scope. On 1.5X I can actually see my front sight on the rifle through the scope. A close shot would be a piece of cake. On a different rifle I use a 2-7x32mm and again, on 2X it is easy to do close up shots. When I walk or stalk, I do put the scope on low power.

I just found that when I had a see through mount, I never used it. Instead I was stretching to use the scope. So I finally decided I wanted the scope low to the barrel where there was little vibration when the rifle was fired, and where I could shoot in a nice comfortable setting.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Dave (Cayugad). I had the see through rings on a .308 rifle and when I wanted to use the sights quickly I could not find them. I also use a 1.5-5 power scope and leave it on 1.5 for quick shots. Have made running shots in the trees with that scope. In my opinion it is better than iron sights which my old eyes can't see anyway even if I could find them quickly. They also make your scope too high for practical use in my opinion.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

I hate to sound a little negative but in all the shooting aids
that I have ever (and I am old)seen that see thru has got to be the worst.
Redclub
Old 01-29-2007, 03:40 PM

Itried the see through sights for 1 week. I had to raise my face up on the stock and it made it uncomfortable to shoot. My son has them and I ask him when was the last time you used them. His answer "never".
Old 01-29-2007, 04:17 PM

I hate see thru rings as well. They seem to stick out way to far and get in the way of the open sights. I would try using a low powered scope that is optimal for the range you are shooting deer at such as a 1.5 or 2.5.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: andrewjoseph

I brought up putting see thru rings on my next BP and recieved two mixed reviews on them on another thread. I have never used them and they seem like a good idea, it seems like about 25% of my shots on deer this season were within 20 yards.

I thought it would be nice to use both, but do these work well?

The kind I was going to get are the Gorilla grips that can be found of the TC website. They will go on an Omega or Encore for me.
I have a friend who has had see thru mounts on a .270 for 30 years. I asked him how often he has shot a deer with the see thru. He said never in 30 years of hunting with the rifle. I had problems with see thru mounts on a .30-06, and I bought some redfield mounts and never have had a problelm since. My recommendation would be to just forget the see thru, or if you want a "rainy day rifle" or heavy cover rifle (hemlocks) get a short light usedBP gunand use that with open sights. I plan on descoping my Knight Disc for exactly that purpose, 0 to 50 Knight Disc, 50to 100 TC Omega, over100 to 200 Savage 10ML with appropiate load and bullet (just ordered it afew weeks ago). So depending whereI am going to hunt I will use the rifle appropiate for the hunt, and the load appropiate for the rifle. Chap Gleason Va
Old 01-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Dominant Buck

One thing I can do with my White that is scoped is, the mounts are Warne QD rings so the scope comes right off. Then I can use the open sights if I want. Comes in handy since modern season I use the scope and muzzleloading season I use the open sights.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

See through rings cause me to lift my face away from the stock which makes the stance less stable and much harder to be accurate, A low power or variable power scope and bringing it into line while you keep both eyes on the target works much better for me and as Cayquad said a set of QD rings will be good for several reasons. Lee

Quick Reply: See Thru Rings?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.