Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Movie "silencers" >

Movie "silencers"

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Movie "silencers"

Old 01-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Movie "silencers"

Not really any substance to this post I guess, just watching this cheezy covert opp.s type military movie on FX-you know the kind: a "bad @$$ military squad blows a bunch of stuff up trying to retrieve some files or information about a virus, or the virus itself from a terrorist group from the third world or middle east....three guys just got shot, all standing in a group, with a silenced pistol, it was so quiet that the two other guys didn't even notice that they're buddy misteriously fell down before they were both shot as well...great direction ya know...

Anyone ever notice how quiet "silenced" guns are in the movies? Granted, back in my youth I rigged up a few .22lr's that were that quiet, they were bolt actions, which supposedly CAN become completely silent with subsonic ammo, but ever notice what's silenced in the movies? 9mm blowback pistols...anyone else see a problem with this? The sound they make is pretty consistent with silenced locked action arms, but blowback actions let a crap load of sound out the breech, you'd still get a bang, not a "p-tew"...I once saw one that showed a silenced tommy gun-tell me what's not wrong about that!!!
Old 01-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Movie "silencers"

I have enough trouble trying to figure out how the HERO can dodge all the bullet from four or five bad guys , Now you have to bring this up . Are you trying to make me a no-believer ,Are you saying thier Fake .
Old 01-18-2004, 12:42 PM

They actually do make noise on the set but they switch everything in the editing room. And the hero doges all those bullets cuse the bad guys load there own ammo and forget to put bullets in them. lol
Old 01-18-2004, 02:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

The hero can dodge all of those bullets cause the bad guys only aim for the feet and do not know how to lead a moving target. No one ever took them bird hunting when they were little.

See, hunting can benefit every one if they just get out there and do it.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I watched "Broken Arrow" today, this park ranger picked up a clock off a guy she knocked out, later she was getting shot at by a guy with what looked like a Bushmaster Varminter or Colt match target with a scope from a helicopter at about 40yrds, he missed 5-6shots, she spun and nailed him in one shot with the glock!!![X(][X(] RIIIIIIGHT!

I always have wondered also how the hero-who sometimes isn't someone who would have ever shot a gun in his life can out shoot militants or terrorist who were trained to shoot-killing all of his/her foes in one shot, while he'll get missed narrowly by hundreds of rounds, MAYBE grazed in the shoulder, which won't effect him anyway.

I also noted last night in "BA" that when Howie Long drops a grenade, he must have super long fuses in them, because instead of 5seconds, he gets more than 12seconds (time it takes a grenade to fall 2000ft if it doesn't bounce and discounting terminal velocity)...while when Christian slater catches a dropped by a guy he shot before it hits the ground, he can throw it 30ft and have it detonate before it hits anything.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

they are rather quiet......i shot a fully auto mp5 in 9mm.....without a can and with a can(silencer...)without a can it was as loud as youd expect....without it we safely shot it without earmuffs and the noise was less then a 22lr without a silencer...ive shot a fully auto 10/22 with a silencer and it was completly silent with high velocity ammo...all you heard was the action working.....dont gimme the crap that its illegall ect ect both guns were completley legal.....but i agree in the movies they make it sound TOO quiet.....probally because they are shooting blanks which barely make noise without a can.......
Old 01-19-2004, 02:16 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

Movie guns and shooting is all fiction! Quiet high velocity rounds and endless clips. These guys never have to reload even when shooting full auto. In that mode you can empty a clip in no time, it gets tricky to be able to get 3 or 4 bursts out of a clip. MOVIE GUNS ARE FANTACY JUST LET IT GO.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

My favorites are silenced sniper rifles- so you silence the boom from the gasses being ejected out of the barrrel, but the bullet is still moving at supersonic velocities still giving off a loud 'CRACK' sound. Besides- the bullet would hit the badguy/goodguy before they could possibly hear the rifle going off anyhow. If you don't believe me that the sonic boom from a rifle is very loud, work the pits in a high power rifle event- you need to wear ear protection not from the report of the rifles that a several hundred yards away, but from the sonic boom crack of the bullets flying overhead.

The closest thing I've fired to silenced firearms was CB caps out of a .22 rifle- quieter than an air rifle.