Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Handgun Hunting for elk with a 44 Mag, whats your thoughts? >

Handgun Hunting for elk with a 44 Mag, whats your thoughts?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Handgun Hunting for elk with a 44 Mag, whats your thoughts?

Old 01-12-2004, 08:10 AM

Default Handgun Hunting for elk with a 44 Mag, whats your thoughts?

I have hunted with a 357. Mag for deer, but want to try my Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag for elk, have any of you shot an elk with a 44 Mag? What happened, did the animal go down right away? What is the best load that you would recommend for my 44? Currently I use 240 grain hollow point. Thanks for your help!

Dr. Mike
[email protected]
Old 01-12-2004, 12:55 PM
DM

Default RE: Handgun Hunting for elk with a 44 Mag, whats your thoughts?

I've NOT shot an elk with my 44 mag, but i have taken other big game, with the biggest being a nice bull moose. He was walking sideways at about 55 yards, and i shot him 2 times just a bit foreward in the front shoulder. He ran about 50 yards and fell. I walked up and finished him.

The bullets penintrated to the opposite side, but did not exit.

I'm not real impressed with useing 44mags on big game, but they do work "IF" you do your part!!! It's like bow hunting, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and PRACTICE some more!!!

Anything but a well placed shot will disapoint you, as you can't get away with an "almost" like you can with most rifles!

Drilling Man
Old 01-13-2004, 12:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use a .44 cal. 300 gr. LBT Heat Treated Solid style bullet. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've not used a .44mag on elk, I have on many sick cattle and buffalo and many deer and coyotes, I'd trust one on elk for sure, I wouldn't compare the deer or coyote to elk, but on the cattle and buffalo I've put down with my Ruger Super Blackhawk, none have argued about it...you don't really want to get too close to sick pasture bison-they'll run down a horse in a heartbeat and kill both of you faster if they're still on their feet, I've used mine at 50yrds and under on bison and have rarely had one take more than a few steps after the first shot.

I also recommend an all lead bullet-speer gold dots are pretty sweet too, but not much beats a good hardcast in my opinion...I don't know that I'd go with a 300grn, but unless you can find an "odd man" 260 or 270grn, that's probably the best option...230-40grn is pretty light for elk.