Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Whats the best handgun? >

Whats the best handgun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Whats the best handgun?

Old 07-20-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Whats the best handgun?

What's the Best Handgun?

I relize that this is a rather difficult question, but I still want to get some opinions. I know a fair amount about rifles and have more than enough (if that's possible). However, I know very little about handguns and I would like to purchase one mainly for self-defence.

Basically I am looking for a pistol with a great deal of accuracy (I plan on target shooting with it) and in a good caliber (one I can use for target shooting/self-defence).
Old 07-20-2005, 02:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats the best handgun?

if you dont reload the best calibers that are abundant and are rather cheap in price compared to other calibers are 9mm and 40s&w I would recommend either a glock, Springfield XD or a Taurus Millenium Pro in either of those calibers. If you reload or money isnt a problem than go with a 45 acp in a springfield or kimber 1911 i feel those are the two best in the market or if you prefer light weight polymer frame guns then go with a glock or a Taurus millenium pro. IMO 45 acp is the best choice for self defense.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

If you are looking at semi auto's, I would go with a 9mm Sig Sauer. Thisgun has a very combination of accuracy and reliabilty. The 9 is cheaper and has a little less recoil than the .40 sw.. The Beretta is also a pretty accurate combat pistol.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:15 AM

Get a Sig!
Recommend a 9mm. Check out models 239 & 229.
Sigs are very reliable, and accurate. I have a model 239, and IMO it is the finest pistol I've ever owned. Sigs can cost a little more than many others, but they're worth it.
Links:
Sig website: http://www.sigarms.com
Sig forum: http://sigforum.com/
Old 07-20-2005, 08:30 AM

Asking what is the "best" handgun is kinda like asking how high is up. Going against the rest of the opinons here, but if you don't have much handgun experience consider starting with a decent revolver of autopistol in .22 LR. Ammo is cheap, so you can expend enough to become a decent shot. Ruger's autopistol would be a good starting place.
Walking before running is always a good idea.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:41 AM

i was watching a espisode of cops and some broad cop found a .44magnum on this guy and she went on to say that its the most powerful handgun in the world.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:56 AM

I'm not sure there's a hard-and-fast answer to this question.

To my mind, the "best" handgun is the one that you shoot well, is reliable, and you have confidence in.

Try a few on for size, to see how they balance in your hand. I've seen some high-end pistols (revolvers and semis) that just felt awful to me; I'm sure they're fine weapons, but just not right for me.

On the other hand, the Hi-Power design feels like it was made for me. Because it feels good, and because mine has never failed me, I shoot it pretty well. But that's not to say you'd feel the same about it.

If accuracy is really high on your list, a long-barrelled revolver might be more to your liking...but it will then be a compromise with how readily you can swing it around in a self-defense situation.

Lots of variables in this equation. The good news is, it's fun to check out a bunch of different guns!
Old 07-20-2005, 11:33 AM

Go to the range and rent several types of handguns. Try them on for size, see which ones you like to shoot, which ones you feel comfortable with. (just remember that range guns are usally very dirty so don't judge reliablity on them)

The list of good guns in huge, Glock, Sig, H&K, S&W, Ruger, XD, CZ, etc... etc... The trick is finding the one that you feel comfortable with and can shoot. Don't forget the good ol' wheel guns like the Ruger GP100, S&W 19/66. These allow you to "plink" with .38spcl and use .357mag for defense.

Right now I carry a Glock 22 .40S&W as a duty weapon and a Glock 27 .40S&W as an off duty weapon. I have 100% confindence in both.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

What's the best handgun?
1911A1

Basicly I'm looking for a pistol with a great deal of accuracy
1911A1

and in a good caliber (one I can use for target shooting/self defense).
.45 acp
Old 07-20-2005, 02:10 PM

Well vrmntslyr, a question like this can easily open Pandora's box. The problem is, there are many excellent manufacture's and products out there. First off, are you looking for a revolver or semi-auto pistol?

If you're going for a revolver, it can be hard to go wrong. Since their design is so simple, they've been around for so long, and they're easy to operate. A few manufacures include S&W, Ruger, Taurus, Colt, Beretta, etc.

If you're looking for a semi-auto pistol, that's a whole different ball game.Design and features varies from one manufacture to another. Not that I'm against semi-autos at all, (I actually prefer them), it's just that they vary quite a bit more. A list of high qualitymanufactures include Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Glock, Heckler & Koch, Sig, Beretta, Kimber, Colt, etc (a few other manu. that I have no personal experience with, but are supposed to be good are CZ, Walther, FN, etc)Rugers are a good starter, as they are affordable (half the price of some of the above!) but still excellent quality and rugged. Glocks are used by the bulk of police forces and Austrian Army, as they are light weight, reliable,and are easy to use. Sigsare used by a number of police forces, and was the only pistol besides Beretta to pass the US Military tests, though did not win the bid. Beretta is used by the USA military and various police forces. H&K is used by Military special ops, and agreed by many to be thebest (and carry a hefty pricetag.) S&W are all around great guns and used by police forces and the FBI (or at least atone time they were, I can't keep track any more.) Kimbers are viewed as the best 1911s on the market, and are used by the LAPD SWAT team. Colt isup there with Kimber, but costs an arm and a leg.

It all depends on want you want, andhow much you want to spend. Don't just take our conjecture on it though, for more info I recommend you check out...

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg00-e.htm

Quick Reply: Whats the best handgun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.