Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 out of box cleaning >

out of box cleaning

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

out of box cleaning

Old 01-12-2004, 01:52 AM

Default out of box cleaning

Just curious as to some different methods of "prep cleaning" a new rifle "out of the box". Seems some guys take the whole rifle apart and clean everything before shooting in (like me) & others just swab the barrel and wipe down. Be glad to hear from you guys out there.

Johnny Canuck
Old 01-12-2004, 09:21 PM

Default RE: out of box cleaning

I remove the stock and look at the trigger mechanism. If it can be adjusted, I do it. If I can't adjust it, I have my gunsmith bring it down to 3 lbs. I clean the bolt and run a patch down the barrel. If it comes out green (even the slighest), I run some solvent thru the barrel, let it stand for 3 minutes, then run a bore brush thru it. Then clean patches until they come out just like they went in. Then I fire a 5 shot group, clean barrel again, then start the 3 shot groups (2 each) with various makes of ammo until I find the one that groups the best. After each group, I use solvent, bore brush, clean patches. After I settle on a certain make of ammo and type bullet, I clean it once more, then put away. I put HS Precision stocks on all my hunting rifles, so the POI never changes.
Good Hunting,
Hal
Old 01-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: out of box cleaning

I take the whole thing apart and scrub it clean of grease. Then I clean and coat the bore with Hoppes #9, put a drop of oil on the moving parts, and wipe down the exterior with a silicone cloth.

I usually do "break in" my rifles, but only with the first ten or so shots. Then I fire away and maintain respectable groups. For the most part, my rifles outshoot me, so I'm the one who needs to be broken in.