Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cleaning

Old 12-28-2008, 09:37 AM

Default cleaning

me and my son are both using t7 in our rifles he loose powder me pellets when done hunting at night we usually shoot them off is this nessesary and do we need to clean them every time with this powder
Old 12-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: cleaning

Absolutely yes is the answer to that question. Please, please, please clean those rifles as soon as possible. There is simply no reason to temp fate here. Take a couple of alcohol or windex (even windex + alcohol) patches and swab that barrel. Then run a couple dry patches followed by a lightly oiled patch (CLP, Shealth, RemOil, even WD40) and SLEEP WELL!!!!

REMEMBER:
Cleaning adirty barrel is just like having sex...it is far better to know you're protected than to hope nothing badwill result afterwards.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes definately. Why do you shoot it off every day? I've kept loads in my rifle for the entire 3 week season and it went off just fine. The only time I change it is if I suspect it got contaminated from moisture.
But if you wish to continue changing the load every day, it may be wise to get a CO2 charge remover. That way all you would need to do is a simple swab of the bore to remove any excess powder.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Personally, I don't blame you for shooting the rifle off at the end of the day. I have done the storage thing and been very disappointed. And I have tried to store the rifle in the garge, the wood shed, even the truck, but I must live in a humid part of the world because I had more misfired or hangfires the next day then I care to count. So I shoot mine off.

Since you're shooting triple seven, shoot it off and at least use some water and swab the bore. Windex would work just fine. Then some dry patches until the bore is dry. Then a lightly gun oil patch, swab the bore. Every four days or so, break the gun down and give it a total cleaning. Before you shoot the next day, swab the bore with windex or alcohol patches, then dry patches, then if you can, pop a primer through the breech plug.

Something I have been experimenting with because of all the people saying they can not shoot off a primer or cap before they go hunting. So far no misfires.I have used compressed airafter swabbing the oil out, blown through the breech plug to clean it and open it. If your shooting a #11 nipple, go to a pet store and get a length of fish tube for their tanks. It will slide right over that #11 nipple (take a #11 with you for the right fit). Then blow like the devil through there and listen. Hear the air. If it is a 209 primer, you can do the same thing, but put the tube right into the 209 hole and blow hard. That will help open that breech plug before you load it.

Now load it as normal. Like I said, if you've shot that off for say four or five days in a row, then break the rifle down and clean it. Or if you get lucky and get to shoot a couple rounds.. clean it. The concern is the breech plug. At least give that breech plug a twist to make sure it is not seizing up. Triple Seven will rust your barrel, but it takes a few days. So if you're swabbing out the fowling and a light oil between full blown cleanings. it MIGHT keep you safe. If you have any doubts, clean it.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I loaded 100gr. loose T7 on Nov 18th in my 54 cal. I left it in the unheated honey house every night and on the screened in porch when I came in for lunch. I shot it off on Dec. 22nd, worked just fine with the same primer I put in the holder on the 18th.

My BIL says he leaves his Flint lock loaded with real black. even brings it in the house at night but places a cork in the muzzle.

Do your own experimint and see what works for you.

Al
Old 12-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

i also leave my muzz loaded for season,never had miss fire .

but if i used roundball, i would shoot it each day as they are cheap.

using powerbelts, its to expensive to shoot each day.

my concern is tho, how much rust are we getting by letting it loaded for 2 weeks.

is 2f powder pitting the barrels, i dont know./