Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Information on Weaver Bases and Rings >

Information on Weaver Bases and Rings

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Information on Weaver Bases and Rings

Old 01-08-2004, 11:31 PM

Default Information on Weaver Bases and Rings

Can you all tell me how good of a product the Weaver Bases and the Standard Weaver rings are? do they do a good job at mounting? Are they reliable? Thanks
Old 01-09-2004, 12:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Information on Weaver Bases and Rings

They are strong bases and rings but I hate them.

There are no adjustments that can be made to them with out doing some fling. If your base holes in your receiver happen to be off just a smidge then so will your scope.

I really do not like the way the top of the ring attaches to the bottom of the ring. Just a slight bit of overtightening can dent your scope.

Do yourself a favor and spend a little more for Leupold rings and bases. Or perhaps Millet or Burris.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:08 AM

I prefer the Weaver or Weaver style bases over the Redfield/Leupold style. I just feel they are a stronger system. Although to be honest I've never had any problems with the other style.

As far as rings I've never cared for the Weaver rings. I'll go along with bigbulls on that one. They can damage your scope and it can be a pain to tighten them while keeping your crosshair level. I prefer a Weaver style base with Burris or Millet rings. I use this combination on all my rifles from my target rifles to my hardest kicking magnums and have never had a problem.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:28 AM
DM

What's always been the "most important" thing to me is, STRENGTH! Weavers have it, and i've NEVER damaged a scope mounting them. If you don't feel you can do it properly, have a gun smith do it for you!!!

NO, there's no ajustment in them, but they NEVER go out of ajustment either!!! The truth is, if you know what you are doing, you can do some shimming if needed to get a "poorly drilled and tapped" rifle to come to zero.

I've seen some of the "Redfield type" fail, but NEVER a properly mounted Weaver split ring fail, even on high recoiling rifles!!

They don't look as "fancy" as some of the others, but for my $$ they "still" are best!!

Drilling-Man