Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 where to begin? >

where to begin?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

where to begin?

Old 12-28-2003, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default where to begin?

Just picked up a new gun today, Ruger 454 Casull (7.5"barrel) I've owned a few handguns but not one just for hunting. I put a used Bushnell 3x6.5x32 glass on for now thinking I can always up grade closer to the hunting season. My question is where to begin with the sight in as far as the yardage goes? Is it the same as a rifle sight in and what load is the most popular?

I picked up a box of 260gr 45 colt ammo just for getting use to the recoil and Hornady 454 300gr JHP/XTP for hunting. Are these choices good? or would anyone care to make a recommendation on what ammo you use. Any help would be appreciated Deer, bear and a few coyotes crossing my path are what I'll be hunting when the time comes. Thanks for any help......MK-M-GOBL

Old 12-28-2003, 10:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: where to begin?

Good looking weapon. I'd start around 25yds to get on paper, then move back. I've taken a couple deer with pistols .44mag and .45long colt neither of which were scoped, so I'm not by any means an expert. I have shot the XTP's and liked them, but with all the ammo on the market today there may be a better choice. If you haven't shot this gun yet, the 45colt ammo will not prepare you for the recoil, but it will give you a feel for the guns balance and handling and should be a less expensive way to shoot your gun.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: where to begin?

For hunting ammunition I would go with Buffalo Bore Ammo in a 325 gr. LBT-LFN for medium game, and 360 gr. LBT-LWN for large game. Good luck with your new revolver.