Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Group Size with Different Ammo >

Group Size with Different Ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Group Size with Different Ammo

Old 11-15-2003, 09:15 AM

Default Group Size with Different Ammo

A couple of weeks ago I put a new bushnell 4200 2.5x10 on my 300 Weatherby. The first time I went to the range, it didn' t shoot worth crap! I had also gotten some of the new 150 gr. Hornady Interbonds. Everything I' ve heard about Hornady, as well as ballistic tips, have been great as far as accuracy is concerned. But the best group I could get was around 6 inches. I figured the scope had to be loose, or there was something wrong with it since with Remington Cor-lokts I had always shot 1" -1.5" groups.

Anyway, go to the range yesterday, same results. So then I decided to try some different ammo, Federal 180 gr. Groups instantly back down to 1.5" . I never dreamed there would be that dramatic of difference between ammo.

So a couple of tips hoping to save some of you time and frustration - only change one thing at a time, always try several different types of ammo, and expensive ammo doesn' t always mean more accurate. I' m thinking the Hornady' s were too light and too fast for my rifle.

P.S. I' ve got about 50 Hornaday Interbonds; 150 gr 300 weatherby that I' ll sell at 1/2 price if anyones interested.

Lance
Old 11-15-2003, 10:33 AM

Default RE: Group Size with Different Ammo

I could' nt agrey more some times the best don' t do the best you' v got to find out what your gun like first and then go from there you see so many guy' s at the rang with hight price ammo and thay are not happy with the resolut .I' v got three rifil' s that will not shoot anything but core lock
Old 11-15-2003, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

You always have to try everything once and some things twice. I have a rifle that would shoot under one inch with most bullets but would not group the Barnes X bullet under one foot. Thats right ONE FOOT. The rifle I used for the first part of my deer hunt this year was a 257 Roberts. It shoots the Barnes bullets pretty well. Not as well as the Ballistic tips which it really likes but well enough to group less than 2 inches. It shoots Noslet Partitions best of anything I have tried but I will try the corlocts and some others in an attempt to find the cheapest bullet that it will shoot well. It shoots Hornady bullets quite well but I have only tried a few of them. I never saw a deer hit the ground as fast as that one did last week when hit by that 25 caliber Barnes X bullet. I heard the bullet hit and she was gone from my scope. Never even twitched. Nice big fat mulely does. I had an anterless tag and an any deer tag. Will most likely shoot another doe . I also have an anterless muzzle loader tag.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

A friend once asked me to work up some ammo for his .30/.338 that he just had built, and bought a box of Hornady 180 grain bullets to use. I never was able to get those Hornadys to shoot worth crap in his rifle, but it was outstanding with 200 grain Nosler Partitions and 200 grain Sierra PSPBT' s! But those same Hornadys shot well in my .308 Norma. Both of these rifles were rechambered 1903A3' s with 1943 four-groove Remington G.I. barrels and custom stocks, using Weaver K6 scopes (it was a while back!!)
Old 11-16-2003, 04:46 PM

Lance had the same problem with a Weatherby in 06. I kept thinking I had to shoot the most exspensive ammo I could buy for it to shoot right. I tryed no less than 6 major brands in three different weights and nothing shot better than the Remmington 150 grain Nosler Ballistic tips under a inch at 100 yds.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:07 PM

Guns can be finicky. Even if you buy two brand X guns, in the same x caliber, they more than likely will like different brands of ammo. Or maybe the same brand, but different bullet weights.

I had a Browning A-Bolt .270 that would shoot 3/4" groups at 100 yards with either Remington Core-Lokts or Federal Premium, 130 grain only. Didn' t like the 150 grainers. With handloads, it would shoot 1/2" groups all day. Put any type Winchester ammo in it, and it wouldn' t shoot less than 8" groups. It did' t like Remington Premier ammo either.

I also had a Remington 700BDLSSDM that didn' t like anything I shot thru it. 1.5" groups was the best I could get. I sold it off real fast.

Next rifle I had was a Browning White Gold Medallion in .300 Win Mag. It liked Hornady 150 grain SST' s, but not much else.

So when I buy a new rifle, I try to budget in another 100.00 just for ammo.