Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Group size?

Old 04-15-2004, 07:26 AM

Default Group size?

I have seen several post on how well each guy shoots his bow. This brings up some questions. I have seen several post on group sizes of 2-3" at 50 yards[:-]????????? NOW......I find it hard to believe that people are shooting CONSISTANT groups of that size at 40 and 50 yards. I know we all can have those tight groups sometimes, but to say you shoot those kind of groups you have to do it time in and time out.

Before the flaming begins on me let me say this.......I shoot with some guys that are consistantly nationally ranked in the top of 3D archery. I have ask them about these size groups and all they can do is laugh at the size groups I state some guys shoot

LET THE BASHING BEGIN

citori
Old 04-15-2004, 07:33 AM

Default RE: Group size?

I have had my doubts sometimes, but I generally take peoples word for it. I mean if they don't shoot that great oh well and it is definately possible. Personally I just started shooting longer range (over 40yrds), so I am not positive of my groups.

Old 04-15-2004, 07:50 AM
nub

Until you can prove otherwise, you'll just have to accept the fact, there are people out there who shoot better than you. []
There are a total of 62204 members
Do you think theres not a few here who could manage a 3" group @ 50 yards on a regular basis? Good thing you don't post over @ A.T.
I shoot with some guys that are consistantly nationally ranked in the top of 3D archery.
Name some names, or I won't believe you!
Old 04-15-2004, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I personally feel that there are too many variables for the average or even better than average archer to shoot consistantly small groups at 50 or even 40 yards. I personally seem to have days when I can shoot good out to 50 and days that i am doing good to be consistant at 25. But I will say that there are some awesome shooters out there with amazing talent.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:59 AM

I've never made the claim. I'm lucky if I can find my arrow after a 50 yard shot. [:'(] This is why you'll never hear of me shooting an animal beyond 30 yards.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I was competing in field archery, Bowhunter Freestyle Limited (pin sights, fingers release, 12" max stabilizer length), I could consistently beat "archer's minute of angle" (1" per each 10 yards of distance) size groups, even on the long targets. I'd get quite a few of those teenie little groups on good days, but not consistently from one day to the next.

Shooting Competitive Bowhunter class (same as BHFSL, but without sights) my usual groups were just over archer's minute of angle. With sights, my 60 yard groups averaged just under 5". Without sights, my average 60 yard groups grew to 7". I've got a good gap system.

On the other hand, even though I won my share of tournaments, I regularly got my butt beat.[:-] There are some guys out there that can flat smoke your buns on the target course!
Old 04-15-2004, 08:36 AM

Nub,

I will not put the guys names on the net whom I am referring to.......I would not want to get them personally involved in this. BUT.......suffice it to say that their names appear a LOT on the IBO home page under the results!!!!!!! I shoot with one of them a couple times a week, and the other at all our club 3D shoots.

I figured this would turn into an argument with some guys. I dont really understand this mentality of "your just mad because you cant do it". There probably is a somebody somewhere who is able to constitantly do these types of groups..........maybe.......or not.... I dont want to fight about it because I CANNOT do it myself....that was never the issue. I never named anyone and said they could not do it. I just find it curious that I see those types of claims so often.

citori
Old 04-15-2004, 08:52 AM
nub

Nathan; Not trying to argue with you either. This is the internet. Only the poster and possibly their friends know for sure. I had to double check your profile to make sure your last name wasn't Brooks. Better check mine, perhaps I'm some professional posting as nub!
Old 04-15-2004, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have my days when I can shoot those arrow stacking 40 yard groups, in fact I shot a quarter sized 3 arrow group the other day at 40..tickled me pink

And I have my days when my TP kicks in and I'm lucky if I can get 6" groups[:'(]

If I can do the MOA Arthur talked about at 30 yards plus, I don't get too pee'd at myself, but I always strive for those quarter sized groups. I don't want to become complacent with my (lack of) shooting ability!

I know guys who can shoot 3-4" groups at 60 consistently....

they make me sick [:@]
Old 04-15-2004, 09:30 AM

Nub

If I knew how to check your profile I would.....not real computer orientated

I am pretty new in the 3D world. I am trying to take in all I can about it. I do not mean to come across as A*&hole or anything. Sometimes it is hard to talk on the net and show emotion and sarcasm. This makes it hard to tell in what light people are talking.

It is kinda like rifle shooting......everyone has a 1/4" rifle. Then they have a postal match and the average winning group size is @ 1/2-3/4".

I keep hearing about it and nobody can show me it in reality.....

citori

Quick Reply: Group size?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.