Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Recoil of Slug Guns >

Recoil of Slug Guns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recoil of Slug Guns

Old 11-19-2003, 12:37 PM

Default RE: Recoil of Slug Guns

Big Country : Jealous that my gun is bigger than yours ?
Old 11-19-2003, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like most everyone around, I have a Remington 870 express 12GA. I love this gun! [:-] It has never failed and will probably outlive me. I have run everything from #8 skeet down to #00 buckshot through it, and also 3" magnum #BB' s for geese. It handled everything with ease. Granted the 3" magnum loads kicked just as much as #00 Buck, but nothing too extreme.

What I haven' t run through my 870, is a rifled slug. I don' t know how it will handle compared to #00 Buck. I' ve hard that when you let go with a 1 oz. slug, YOU WILL KNOW IT! [] Is it true that slugs like like a mule worse than #00 Buck?

Butch
Old 11-19-2003, 12:53 PM
bigcountry

Thats what it is slugman.

Well Barnes, I would say the comparison is pretty close. Most kids I know shoot a 20gr sluggun with the smaller shell. Not the 12gr with 3" magnum Federal 1oz slugs. I will say the 338RUM has a sharper recoil. But I believe they are close.

Old 11-19-2003, 01:28 PM

I did shoot my dad' s Ithica with the partition golds and It was quite a difference .....the weight of the gun helps keep down the recoil with slugs. My pop cut his nose with his thumbnail on the first round .....so that should tell ya a little about the recoil ....as big country stated , my H&R is over 9lbs , so I get some protection form the big kicks
Old 11-19-2003, 02:26 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-19-2003, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I AGREE WITH YOU ALL THE 12ga. KICKS!!!! BUT THINK ABOUT IT, WHEN YOUR HUNTING, AND YOU PUT YOUR SIGHTS BEHIND THE SHOULDER OF A DEER, DO YOU REALLY THINK ABOUT THE KICK? I KNOW I DON' T AND IT' S OVER REAL QUICK. I COMPLAINE ABOUT THE RECOIL WHEN SIGHTING IN. IF THE 12ga. IS TO MUSCH, THEN GO WITH A 20ga. THAT LITTLE 20ga. WILL PUT DEER DOWN QUICK!!!!
Old 11-19-2003, 03:08 PM

you' re right I' ve never felt my Ithaca kick when I' m shootin at a deer ....... but oh man, I' ve got all I can do not to flinch when I' m checking out zero before season starts. and yes, the shoulder is always sore for a couple of days after. best thing I can compare it to is getting jabbed by a baseball bat by a very very big man. but when you put a big old honkin 12gauge slug behind or into the shoulder of a deer, they don' t go far.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is it true that slugs like like a mule worse than #00 Buck?
ButchA- It only kicks at the bench, out in the woods you don' t even realize it. Also you body weight takes out some of the oomff.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: slugman

I did shoot my dad' s Ithica with the partition golds and It was quite a difference .....the weight of the gun helps keep down the recoil with slugs. My pop cut his nose with his thumbnail on the first round .....so that should tell ya a little about the recoil ....as big country stated , my H&R is over 9lbs , so I get some protection form the big kicks
Hate to resurect an old thread.. but I love to see others feel the same way I do! heh..

I also have an Ithaca with the Partition Gold slugs, and I'm not exactly a big guy at 5'9'' and 155lbs, I can only take a couple shots on the bench before my shoulder bites the dust. I never really had an issue with the Winchester Supreme slugs, but after switching to Partition Golds... Yikes!

The only thing that matters though is that you remember it's totally different in the tree, and don't even think about the recoil when you've got a deer in front of you. It's the last thing that should be on your mind, and honestly, you shouldn't even feel it with all the excitement.

The partition gold slugs are just plain nasty on the deer though. I beleive I have only had one slug actually STAY in the deer, and I'm guessing it is the slug that went through the TREE first ( and still hit the deer, ended up lodging itself into the rear quarter on the other side of the deer as it tried to exit. ) This is AFTER going through 6'' of tree first!
Old 12-15-2003, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

well, it's no lie that slugs kick. I have a 870 that hurts, my benelli sbe hurts, my benelli m1 steady grip hurts, my benelli 20ga. m1 hurts (light gun 5.5 lbs.),
my winchester 1400 is junk, but my winchester sx2 doesn't kick hardly at all. the gas operated gun is like butter.

Quick Reply: Recoil of Slug Guns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.