HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Recoil of Slug Guns
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2003, 10:28 PM
TSR6
Fork Horn

Default RE: Recoil of Slug Guns

ORIGINAL: slugman

I did shoot my dad' s Ithica with the partition golds and It was quite a difference .....the weight of the gun helps keep down the recoil with slugs. My pop cut his nose with his thumbnail on the first round .....so that should tell ya a little about the recoil ....as big country stated , my H&R is over 9lbs , so I get some protection form the big kicks
Hate to resurect an old thread.. but I love to see others feel the same way I do! heh..

I also have an Ithaca with the Partition Gold slugs, and I'm not exactly a big guy at 5'9'' and 155lbs, I can only take a couple shots on the bench before my shoulder bites the dust. I never really had an issue with the Winchester Supreme slugs, but after switching to Partition Golds... Yikes!

The only thing that matters though is that you remember it's totally different in the tree, and don't even think about the recoil when you've got a deer in front of you. It's the last thing that should be on your mind, and honestly, you shouldn't even feel it with all the excitement.

The partition gold slugs are just plain nasty on the deer though. I beleive I have only had one slug actually STAY in the deer, and I'm guessing it is the slug that went through the TREE first ( and still hit the deer, ended up lodging itself into the rear quarter on the other side of the deer as it tried to exit. ) This is AFTER going through 6'' of tree first!