Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Opening Dialog >

Opening Dialog

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opening Dialog

Old 11-12-2003, 01:02 PM

Default Opening Dialog

I posted this on the bowhunter side as well, but figured there may be a few gun hunters that don' t read the stick and string thread but may have great answers. So, here goes.....

It' s been YEEEARS since I had to approach a landowner about hunting on their property. I' ve had leases, friends w/ property, and use of some public land in the past, but am in a situation now where I need to find a new place. I have no intention of doing it for this season as I feel it' s too late and not very considerate of the landowner. So, I will be doing this after the season ends.

My question is, how do you open the dialog? I mean, I know I could approach someone and introduce myself, but then what' s next? I don' t want the door to shut on me the second I say " hunt" . I' d like for the guy, or gal, be willing to learn a little about me, and my ethics, prior to saying no.

I would offer services like doing some weekend chores, etc, as my ability to pay a " reasonable tresspass fee" isn' t feasible right now.

So, how do you all do it? Any advise?
Old 11-12-2003, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Opening Dialog

I always introduce my self, talk a little small talk, name dropping can be good if you have names to drop and get right to the point. They usually know when an unfimilar vehicle pulls up that the guy is looking for info or selling something, either way they are gaurded and it is best to get right to the meat of why you are there. I also will never stop when a guy is busy or eating dinner. Offering to help is a good idea, I have informed a guy a fence is down or his cow is out,etc and then offered to help him as an icebreaker. This can work but to say I will help with chores may look like your desperate. It is ok to state your ethics if he cares to listen or seems leary, just don' t seem fake and cushy as your relationship with him is very infant. Once I obtain permission I always stop in for coffee/chat when in the area, drop off meat(finished product) even if I harvested it elsewhere & some places I bring a 40oz gift(catch my drift). The point is keep building on the relationship and don' t ever break the trust level. Be responsible, courteous, respectful, honest and grateful of his permission.

Good luck!

PS If he doesn' t grant you permission be nice and thank him for his time. Always say have a nice day[8D]
Old 11-12-2003, 01:43 PM

I bring a 40oz gift(catch my drift).
Yeah, I get it. LOL Thanks for your thoughts. Good ideas.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:03 PM

If you bowhunt alot of people will give you the ok. But I' ve had afew after they got to know me or heard about me from somebody else ;let me gun hunt eventually.I do alot of what skeeter says also. Even if they dont care for deer I always give them a card thanking them at christmas with one of those big tins of cookies for the holidays. They act like previous hunters hadn' t done that so I keep doing it.Just beyourself and be honest and you' ll find a spot;believe me some the farmers are sick of the deer.