Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Aetec Scopes >

Aetec Scopes

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Aetec Scopes

Old 10-29-2003, 01:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Aetec Scopes

I was wondering how many of you have and have used the Simmons Aetec scopes? I have read good reports in the North American Hunter and a few other publications. However expierence is what counts. How are they for light transmission and adjustments. Are they a tough scope? I was looking at them a couple days ago but just inside the store. A friend of mine just returned from a pronhorn hunt useing his new Shepard scope. He shot one that the range finder in the scope showed 426 yards. He held on the base of the neck and down it went. He checked with his lazer range finder then also steped off the distance. He said he was really impressed with its performance. I think they might be out of my price range though. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Aetec Scopes

Just got a new Midway flyer. I see they have the Aetec for 129.00. I think I may have to try one.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

James
You know my thoughts on the Aetec, I love em! The 444 marlin has not hurt it with 3 boxes of Hornady Light mags, The 35 Whelen could not kill the last one I had. I think that says something. $130! thats a great price.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:50 PM

In my opinion, Simmons scopes are a waste of money. Do yourself a favor and get a decent scope you can afford. Start looking at Nikon and Leupold. You can get into their entry level scopes for 149.00 and 199.00 respectively, and upgrade the Nikon to a Buckmaster model for 199.00.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one that was given to me and I find it to be a very good scope . I put it on one of my trading rifles and was very suprised at the accuracy on this combination . The guy that gave it to me had it on a 300 Weatherby mag for a couple years with no harm from the recoil .
Old 10-29-2003, 10:30 PM

I' d like to explain my dislike of Simmons and maybe someone can tell me what was wrong.

I owned two Simmons scopes before. One was a 44Mag 3-10x44 that I put on my Browning .270. I liked the scope until I took it to the range. First day out, I shoot my rifle and I' m getting great 3/4" groups. I get it dialed in where the groups are centered 1.5" high at 100 yards, but dead zero windage wise. I place the gun/scope combo in my hard gun case, set it on the back seat of the car, and drive home. I take it inside, clean it, then put it back in the case and back into the closet.

Two days later, I go out to shoot some more with everything the same. No changes what so ever. Wind was calm too. My first group was again, 3/4" . But, it was three inches left of center and 4 inches high. WTF??? So I re-zero it back to 1.5" high, and dead center above the bullseye. I then repeat the process of taking it home.

A week later, I get some free time and I go back to the range. This time it' s shooting 4" low and 2" to the right!!!! I' m furious at this point. Groups still tight but point of impact is changing every time I make a trip to the range. Nothing changes. No drastic weather changes, same brand and lot number of ammo, the whole nine yards.

I trash the 44mag and buy a Nikon Monarch. No more problems.

My next Simmons scope did basically the same thing on a .22 caliber Marlin model 60 I had. It was a prohunter. Only it would change points of impact for each shot I fired. I was literally getting 7-8 inch groups from 50 yards. I put a old Bushnell scope on it, and I could put all 15 shots into the size of a quarter.

I swore then I' d never own another Simmons. I have a buddy that has a Whitetail Expedition scope on his 300 Win Mag. It' s a 4-12x42 or something like that. Seems to be a nice scope, but if you zoom up the power above 10, you have to refocus the eyepiece to get a clear image of the target. What' s up with that? Then when you take it back down to 4 or 5 power, it' s blurry and you again have to move the focus ring back to where it was.

So from now on, if it doesn' t say Nikon, Leupold, or some other name that I can' t spell or afford, it' s not going on my rifles. Now you know why I don' t care for Simmons.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:24 AM

I am not a great fan of the Simmons scopes, however, the Atec is one of the best bargins around. I have Leopolds and Nikon Monarchs, but the Atec matches up with them as far as clarity and durability. I put an Atec on my 45-70 three years ago and have hunted in rain and snow and that scopes still holds zero and doesn' t fog. I can see thru it clearly into the evening, it matches my Monarch for light gathering. Last year I put one on my .300 win mag. I have shot it at the range several times as well as hunted with it last year, took it to the range this year to check zero and it is still on. I think the Atec is a good investment, I like it better than my Leopolds and as well as my Monarchs.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

I had an accuracy problem that went away as soon as I threw out that simmons,those scopes are junk.I have a 59.00 dollar bushnell that is built better than a 250.00 dollar simmons.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:54 PM

I had one on a .25-06 and it worked just fine. I don' t think it is as bright as my nikons but not bad either. The only draw back to aetecs and whitetail exp. is the weight, they' re a little heavier than standard scopes. I think they' re worth what you pay.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:33 PM

I love the light and clarity of my Aetec. Only problem is that it' s mounted on my Encore and due to my loose hinge pin on the Encore, I still haven' t zeroed it in yet.
I plan to buy another Aetec for my deer rifle this year.