Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Simmons Aetec and others >

Simmons Aetec and others

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Simmons Aetec and others

Old 08-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Simmons Aetec and others

I have heard from several of our members here that the Simmons Aetec is a darn good buy and scope.
What about the other (older) Simmons? I heard that the older (not produced anymore) Whitetail Expedition also used the aspherical lenses and was on a par with the Aetecs. Is that true?
I have a chance to grab a Whitetail Expedition 1.5-6 X 32 for $60.00 and thought it might be a very good purchase. Your advice ladies and gentlemen?

And while we're talking Simmons...anybody have anything to chime in about the ATV scopes Simmons produced...specifically the 4.5 - 14 X 44.
I heard they were "fully coated"...??
Old 08-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Simmons Aetec and others

The WTE scope is also a very dependable scope I can't speak for the other one you mentioned as I have never owned one. The Whitetail Exp. though has a good reputation and May be in the class of the Aetec. However most of my expierence has been with the Aetec. I have also used the Pro-Hunter scopes IN STRAIGHT POWER. They are tough dependable scopes as well. I have had a Straight Six Power on my 06 for several years and never had to touch the adjustment after sight in.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 3 atecs and 1 whitetail expidition , all excellent scopes .
Old 08-04-2005, 08:08 AM

On Ebay, Whitetail Expedition scopes are selling for around a hundred dollars. I'd buy that scope at $60.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:03 PM

I've got 2 Aetec's and they are a greatdeal. Can't speak for the others.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:04 AM

I had one of the expeditions when I was trying out scopes for my 17hmr. I used it for a couple of days and it was a really nice scope. It was a larger varmint type scope around 20 power or so with the adjustable objective. It went for around 200 some dollars at Cabela's. I had to spend another $200 to get a scope that I thought was better.

The only reason I didn't keep it is I wanted slighty better optics at 100 yards, not that the ones on the simmons were bad. It blew away any BSA or simular type scope I have used in the past and was better than the simmons 44 mag series my buddy has, at twice the power! All the adjustment rings turned nice and smooth like a quality camera lens and looked built very well. I thought it was better than the leupold I looked at for over 400 bucks in over all function and looks. The leupold did have better glass I thought, that was just comparing them in the store though.

For 60 bucks I would snag one up in a heart beat, and I'm broke. I would love to have one for that price to put on my ML.

Paul
Old 08-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys convinced me. I ordered it. I have several rifles it could sit on top of and I'll give it a whirl on all of them to check the confort and fit.

I think it will end up on my Short 6.5 X 55 (only a 18 inch barrell) and I use it in the swamps where I don't have much room to lug around a large firearm or to swing. The 1.5 - 6 power should be plenty for the close cover in the swamp.
Thanks for all replies.