Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Intermitant hammer strike S&W 1000 >

Intermitant hammer strike S&W 1000

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Intermitant hammer strike S&W 1000

Old 10-26-2003, 01:36 PM
Spike

Default Intermitant hammer strike S&W 1000

I have an intermitant hammer strike on my 3" Mag S&W 1000. After costing me one deer I took it all apart and removed pin and cleaned fired a few shots ok then it cost me another deer. Took it to gunsmith said it was maybe casings on my rem loads. Anyway he was wrong, says he will try to but a stronger spring in this time. Anybody know what it is?
Old 10-26-2003, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Intermitant hammer strike S&W 1000

I have to wonder why your smith was saying your Remington slugs were to blame? I know for a fact there were some lots of Remington " Sluggers" that had the primers set a bit too deeply I had some, after I discovered this I shot them all off. There was a bit of a fuss about it on several sites a two (three?) years ago. Maybe you got some of them.

I encountered this at sight-in at the District 5 State Police Range near Joliet. When I had these " misfires" we discovered that the primers just had a slight indentation. When we looked at other spent shells the primers were dented just fine. I thought to myself, " Oh no, a couple of weeks till shotgun season and I got a PROBLEM!"

The range and weapons officer took a look and noted with his nail gauge (fingernail) that the problem rounds indeed had their primers set too deeply.

I know some may say " You get what you pay for..." , but as inexpensive as these " Sluggers" are, they usually shoot just fine. I can' t begin to try and recall how many I' ve shot in my lifetime and I only had this problem in one bunch of ammo I bought.

Let us know if indeed you were using those " Sluggers" .

Uncle Matt (in IL)