Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Elk Hammer

Old 09-14-2004, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Elk Hammer

What cartridge(s) really hammer Elk..I mean make them quit ticking on the spot?
Old 09-14-2004, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hammer

I don't know much about elk. But I think they are the size animal where it really doesn't matter what you hit 'em with, unless you hit or temporarily disable the CNS, they will either stand there or run off. Kind of like moose.

Maybe if you intentinally break them down with a shoulder shot? Then I'd say acutal bullet construction is more important than the exact cartridge. I would want something at least as powerful as a .30/06.

I would rather shoot for the center of the lungs, and just deal with them wherever they run off to, than risking a badly deflected bullet from a shoulder shot.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

270 on up. I have had very good results with my 30-06 180- grain Partitions. 45-70 350 grain Hot Core also works well for me.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

What unk said works for me .
Old 09-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

30-06 is a fine cartridge but a Hammer?
Old 09-14-2004, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

A friend of mine hunts elk with a .500 Nitro double, which is the largest "hammer" I have seen used on elk, although, up in Montana a fellow is going to be elk hunting with a .600 Overkill this year. 900 grains at 2400 fps! Ouch!!!
Old 09-14-2004, 01:42 PM

OEH,
Ignoring your original question, no doubt, will soon occur....

I suppose it is about time for the never ending "shot placement (misnomer) is everything" speeches to begin....

In answer to your question (and ALL other things equal) for a HAMMER (not just a scapel):
IMHO, 338WinMag and up levels of performance with heavy weight, well constructed bullets....
======================

Using a "hammer" is not without its downsides (generally they are heavy to carry, require recoil managment ability, and money) and they are definitely not the answer for everyone.

I will say that with one of my poorest shooting performances, I put down a large cow elk with a shot just ahead of the diagphram and low --- not really into the vitals and definitely not into CNS. She just stumbled, fell down, and died on the spot in less than a minute as though the "load" was just to heavy to bear.

According to what I so often read, under "normal" circumstances she was supposed to run off and likely never to be found. I credit the difference in result to using a hammer instead of a scapel. One shot -- no steps -- died on the spot. Results may vary; those are mine.

There are benefits to using a rifle chambered for a cartridge with a high Taylor KO score.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 09-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am thinking 300 ultra mag,338 and 340 wthby and up would be hammers. I have used a 300 wthby mag and to be quite honest while very flat shooting animals seemed less then impressed.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well there you are old elk hunter. You answered your own question. Sounds like you found what works for you. EKM is right. Shot placement is everything. As a lifelong carpenter I have seen jobs done with many different size hammers. Its knowing your tools and knowing how to use them. Best of luck in your hunting.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

James, actually the most spectacular kills I have seen on Elk were with 7 Rem mag,338 win and a 7 Dakota which is comparable to a 7STW ballistic wise.

Quick Reply: Elk Hammer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.