Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Best 6.5 creedmoor >

Best 6.5 creedmoor

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best 6.5 creedmoor

Old 01-13-2017, 11:22 AM
Spike

Default Best 6.5 creedmoor

What is the best 6.5 creedmoor for hunting that is under $1,000 with a oversized barrel?
Old 01-13-2017, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talk about a question leading to MORE questions!! Hunting what? Hunting where? Type of cover hunting in? What do you mean by "over sized" barrel, length, contour, or what? Type of action preferred, single shot, semi, bolt action? The Creed was designed specifically for the AR platform and seems to perform well from it. That's not to say one can't get a nice bolt action to shoot it just as well or even better.

Edit to add: BTW, welcome to the forum!!! Specifics are always welcomed to the best of your abilities and knowledge. Hard to help if we don;t know the full extent of your needs.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:51 PM
Spike

Sorry about that. I am looking for a bolt action with a heavier contour to use for mostly deer in east texas with shots within 200 yards, but I would like to be able to shoot further when I wanted too. Thanks for the welcome.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay another question, one I probably already know the answer to...Do you reload or know anyone that does? If not, then the Creed wouldn't be the best cartridge choice for your needs. Factory ammo isn't really all that plentiful. As well as the Creed would REALLY benefit from some loving at the reloaders bench. Especially in a bolt gun. My recommendation would be the 7mm.08. Factory ammo is readily available in most locals and, in my lowly opinion, is probably the best whitetail deer cartridge on the market today for ranges out to 400 yards.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Okay another question, one I probably already know the answer to...Do you reload or know anyone that does? If not, then the Creed wouldn't be the best cartridge choice for your needs. Factory ammo isn't really all that plentiful. As well as the Creed would REALLY benefit from some loving at the reloaders bench. Especially in a bolt gun. My recommendation would be the 7mm.08. Factory ammo is readily available in most locals and, in my lowly opinion, is probably the best whitetail deer cartridge on the market today for ranges out to 400 yards.

I could not agree with you more on the reloading thing and 6.5creed.

I have a Savage 10fcp-sr 6.5creed. 24"fluted barrel, DBM, Accutrigger, Accustock in its factory configuration. It is a dream to shoot and I'm slinging 140s out to 500yrds in the 1/2MOA-3/4MOA range consistently now that I have tweaked the load some more with 1/2MOA being the closer side to the norm. And on occassion the world comes together and the stars align and this thing shoots stupid small groups and from time to time I step in and put some human input into the gun and it shoot a big group. I paid $565 shipped for the rifle. Put a Vortex Viper on it that I picked up used for $220 and a $100 harris Bipod. So $885 and I'm SUPER happy with the results. Side note I havn't started fiddling with lighter bullets as 140SSTs are my hunting round so that is what I have worked up, but I am expecting even better results when I drop down to some paper puncher/varmit weight rounds.

Last edited by Tufrthnails; 01-13-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:40 PM
Spike

I have been considering getting into reloading but for now I have some friends that do it
Old 01-13-2017, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

The best 6.5 Creed is a .260 Rem or a 6.5x284...
Old 01-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
The best 6.5 Creed is a .260 Rem or a 6.5x284...
dat wuz funny right der !!! Honestly, there aint a lotta love for the Creed. I had my 6.8 SPC built several years ago and that thing is stupid accurate. The Creed, as I said previously, is an okay round. Especially in an AR configuration. But for a bolt gun, there's just too many better choices. Especially for the non handloader. Those dependent upon factory offerings are pretty much stuck with anemic factory loadings as well as the short supply over all.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I don't know about "best," but this one's a pretty good one for $650: Weatherby Vanguard S2 Synthetic

It doesn't come with a heavy tapering or bull barrel, but my Vanguard will shoot my handloads into a .5" group at 100 yards with someone competent behind the trigger (read: someone other than me, lol).
Old 01-13-2017, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh come on Wolfie, us Tn Mountain boys are born knowin how to shoot!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.