Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
6.5 Creedmoor Rifle >

6.5 Creedmoor Rifle

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

6.5 Creedmoor Rifle

Old 12-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
So if I load a 7-08 with Varget under 140 AB's and I'm seeing a 17 ES, I should see a reduced ES and better precision with my 6.5 Creed because of the straight body and steep shoulder. Right? How much should my group size shrink if I swap my 7-08 barrel for a 6.5 creed barrel? Or if I just ream it out to an AI type chamber?

Or is the 6.5 creed just as accurate at range as the 7-08 even if it's loaded less consistently with a greater ES?

How much reduced ES should we expect from the new Lapua brass for 6.5creed with it's small flash hole and small primer compared to the Hornady stuff we've all been living with so far which has 20 thou flash hole and large primers? How much are my groups going to shrink out of my RPR swapping to these small primer brass?
you need to get some better bait, you know nobody can answer any of those questions.
oldtimer i was talkin about standard deviation not section density.
no use arguing with you a 25-06 can be made just as accurate a 6mmbr and a 30-30 just as accurate as a 308, why the most accurate cartridge in the world is a long action cartridge, errrrr no its not that would be a PPC, im done, here
Old 12-04-2016, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

There ARE specific reasons why steep shoulders have accuracy advantages. I assumed if you were touting the advantage of short, fat cases so brashly, you'd know them. There ARE specific reasons why world records are shot with 6-7mm bores and medium capacity cases, again, attesting to these advantages, I assumed you'd be able to provide them. There ARE specific reasons the 6.5 & 6 creed and x47's dominate PRS standings, but again, doesn't seem like you can provide them. But you read a record book, so that's a start.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

This has been quite entertaining the last couple of days and semi-informative. Love these type discussions. No reason for anyone to get butthurt some like the cartridge some don't. I've had great luck with it so far for what I have asked it to do, which is punch paper and dirt nap deer with the same rifle and not wear my shoulder out at the same time. I'm sure there are other cartridges that do one or the other or even both better, but it gets the job done for me.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

There ARE specific reasons why steep shoulders have accuracy advantages. I assumed if you were touting the advantage of short, fat cases so brashly, you'd know them. There ARE specific reasons why world records are shot with 6-7mm bores and medium capacity cases, again, attesting to these advantages, I assumed you'd be able to provide them. There ARE specific reasons the 6.5 & 6 creed and x47's dominate PRS standings, but again, doesn't seem like you can provide them. But you read a record book, so that's a start.
so why dont you educate us instead of baiting me the whole time cause it seems most in here dont believe case design makes a difference
Old 12-04-2016, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tufrthnails
This has been quite entertaining the last couple of days and semi-informative. Love these type discussions. No reason for anyone to get butthurt some like the cartridge some don't. I've had great luck with it so far for what I have asked it to do, which is punch paper and dirt nap deer with the same rifle and not wear my shoulder out at the same time. I'm sure there are other cartridges that do one or the other or even both better, but it gets the job done for me.

i just got the creed myself put 2 boars down with it so far, this thing hits them like a hammer, im still shooting factory ammo, 129 gr interlocks, i recovered a bullet from the 200 lb boar i shot, it retained 83% weight and had a expanded diameter of .68
i have always read about the 6.5 bullet being a great penetrator and having great flight characteristics , this is the only bullet recovered of 9 animals killed this year with a creed. theres something about that 6.5 bullet.

heres the hog i recovered it from, i was testing the creed against our toughest animal in Texas, it made it through the shield through the shoulder bone through both sides of the ribs through the opposite shoulder and stuck in offside shield.

heres a vid of my first kill with it this year a 150lb boar same shot but further out at 150 yds, blew right threw him. both boars dropped in their tracks

Last edited by zrexpilot; 12-04-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
i just got the creed myself put 2 boars down with it so far, this thing hits them like a hammer, im still shooting factory ammo, 129 gr interlocks, i recovered a bullet from the 200 lb boar i shot, it retained 83% weight and had a expanded diameter of .68
i have always read about the 6.5 bullet being a great penetrator and having great flight characteristics , this is the only bullet recovered of 9 animals killed this year with a creed. theres something about that 6.5 bullet.

heres the hog i recovered it from, i was testing the creed against our toughest animal in Texas, it made it through the shield through the shoulder bone through both sides of the ribs through the opposite shoulder and stuck in offside shield.

heres a vid of my first kill with it this year a 150lb boar same shot but further out at 150 yds, blew right threw him. both boars dropped in their tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yNDb8rBUgg
I'm shooting 140g SST handloads and they have put 5 deer down so far and only one wasn't a sack of tators dirt nap and that one was completely on my as it was a snap shot on a doe immediately after I dropped my buck which I didn't take the wind into acct and hit way forward smashing both front shoulders. A follow up shot quickly killed her. When I dressed her I was amazed at the penetration and damage to the off side shoulder socket. My buck was quartering to me and I squared his front side shoulder blowing it out at 266 yards. After that it destroyed the heart I found the round on the skin opposite side. I can't find where I put it. I thought I put it in my pack. I wanted to weigh it. It definitely didn't retain as much weight percentage wise as yours did, but SST's open pretty quick.

I'm not saying it's the new replacement for deer hunters everywhere. I'm just impressed with the 6.5 and the damage it can do in a short action case. I'm looking forward to working up some lighter rounds to see what I can do with it.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

zrex, you aren't getting the point here buddy. You keep saying "the most accurate cartridge"! News flash, there's no such animal as an accurate cartridge!!! And again you are incorrect as far as the 6mmPPC holding the record. That would be an HCR rifle chambered in...wait for it...wait for it....a .375 Cheytac! with the record distance being 4210 yards! Details

Date: November 22, 2015
Rifle: HCR Carry Weight 375 CheyTac
Action: Stiller CheyTac 1.450”
Barrel: Benchmark 8 groove, 1:11.5” twist, 27”, .750”@muzzle
Muzzle Brake: Benchmark Miller Prone
Trigger: Jewell with front safety set 2.0 pounds
Stock: McMillan A3/5 customized to fit action, bottom metal, with custom adjustable comb
Trigger Guard: Bear Custom DBM
Metal Finish: Two-tone Black, Tungsten Gray Cerakote
Scope: Nightforce Beast H59 reticle
Mounts: Custom 230 MOA rail, 20 MOA Nightforce Direct Mount
Unscoped weight: 12.5 pounds
Weight with scope and mounts: 15.5 pounds

Ballistic Data and Environmentals:
Total Elevation: 96.5 MILS (4.5 MILS in the reticle)
Windage: 2.3 MILS Right
Temp: 58 Degrees
Humidity: 50%
Elevation: 2000 ft
Station Pressure: 28.00 Hg.

And the best ever recorded 5 shot group ON TARGET (50 score 5x) with a 1.403" group in light gun class wasnt the PPC or small bore at ALL!!! It was recorded in 2007 by Tom Sarver with a wildcat cartridge. A .338 Lapua cartridge necked down to 30 cal and shortened a mite. Bullets were 240gr Sierra Match Kings.

Best 10 shot group wasn't shot with the 6PPC either! That goes to Jim Richards in 2014, I think, shooting a 6mm Dasher. 2.6872" all in the 8 ring.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

i said short fat cartridges are inherently more accurate, thats what i said
Old 12-04-2016, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 140grn pill in 6.5mm has an SD of .287, and out to 500 it'll hit above 2,000fps... Why wouldn't it be a hammer?

But - there's a handful of cartridges which will do the exact same, or more, even in a short action. Popularity for the 6.5 is deserved, just not at this scale. The magnitude of its popularity isn't pixie dust, it's marketing.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

A 140grn pill in 6.5mm has an SD of .287, and out to 500 it'll hit above 2,000fps... Why wouldn't it be a hammer?

But - there's a handful of cartridges which will do the exact same, or more, even in a short action. Popularity for the 6.5 is deserved, just not at this scale. The magnitude of its popularity isn't pixie dust, it's marketing.
I can see that to a point, but not on the level of .300 Blackout. Which I have no clue how it got so popular. At least in my circles it's crazy how many guys have a .300 BLK. To me that is the ultimate marketing round.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.