Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What distance should I sight my .22 in for? >

What distance should I sight my .22 in for?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What distance should I sight my .22 in for?

Old 02-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What distance should I sight my .22 in for?

As the title says what distance should I sight my .22 in for? It's a Ruger 10\22 with a Simmons 3x9x32mm scope. I've had it sighted in at about 25 or 30 yards for several years as that's mostly the distance I shoot when just shooting at cans and what not. However, if I go squirrel hunting I'd like to be able to take shots up to 50 or 75 yards.

Just recently I messed with the scope by turning it on the gun. I figured while I was doing that and adjusting it I'd sight it in for 50 yards so I did.

Well when cleaning it tonight it got knocked over. It was on the floor in a sight vise so only about 6" maybe a foot off the floor but I doubt that far just fell over wasn't like it dropped. Fell on carpet but I think I should go ahead and check the scope. A slight tip over like this doesn't sound like it would have damaged the scope would it? I'm thinking since I have to check it and may or may not need to adjust it what should I sight it in for? 25 yards would be the easist as the best place I have to shoot is about 25 yards however I can have up to 100 I just have too shoot off a card table that wobbles some. Should I keep it soghted in for 50 yards?
Old 02-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What distance should I sight my .22 in for?

Sight it in again. would recommend you sight in @ about 35 yds. Check your grouping @ 25 yds. and then @ 50 yds. I really can't think you will want to try to kill a squirrel much over40 or so yds. with a .22. That's generally a pretty long poke in the woods..... OK ???
Old 02-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I sight my Remington 541-T for 50 yards...When I used my Remington 552 I sighted in for 25...
With the 552, I could keep all my shots inside a nickle at 25 yards...My 541-T will do that at 50 yards...

Now, I used the 552 from the time I was 16 (1971) until 2000 and killed a ton of squirrels with it...

As mentioned, 50 yards to head shoot a squirrel is a good ways, using hunting positions...I can do it with my 541-T but wouldn't have tried with the 552...

Let your gun's grouping decide how far you should be taking those shots...
Old 02-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

I sight my Remington 541-T for 50 yards...When I used my Remington 552 I sighted in for 25...
With the 552, I could keep all my shots inside a nickle at 25 yards...My 541-T will do that at 50 yards...

Now, I used the 552 from the time I was 16 (1971) until 2000 and killed a ton of squirrels with it...

As mentioned, 50 yards to head shoot a squirrel is a good ways, using hunting positions...I can do it with my 541-T but wouldn't have tried with the 552...

Let your gun's grouping decide how far you should be taking those shots...
This thing groups better than I can shoot it. I have trouble shooting decent groups at 50 yards just from the fact I can't seem to hold it as still as I'd like. At 25 yards or so I shot probably 25 times or maybe 30. I had a 50 round magazine in it and had shot several already. Anyway, it was a hole about 1 1/2" and it was just one big hole. At 50 yards I can't do that but I think it's me. Still get pretty nice groups out of it at 50 yards. I can shoot something the size of a penny at 30 yards or so not sure if I could at 50 or not but it still does decent.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:58 PM

for squirrels i sight my kimber at 50 yards (then put the cross hairs a tad above where i want the bullet to hitif they are closer). for my 10/22 here on the farm for general critters i use 35 yards.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the exact same setup. I've got mine sighted in for 35 yd. I aim a little high for shots 50 yd. and beyond. A .22 has surprising little drop at 50 yd. The squirrels are in trouble out to 70 yd.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

My 10/22 is set at 25yds.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always sight in .22LR rifles for 50 yards, and .22 magnums at 100 yards.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before I start I will say I did not adjust the scope up and down at all. The only adjustment I made was to move the scope 4 clicks to the right.

I ended up sighting it in for 36 yards. I walked it off and it's approx 36 yards. I shot it some at 50 and hit the bullseye and it was also about perfect at 36 so I left it.

I don't know *** is going on though. I took pictures and will post them up for you guys to see.

The first group I shot was shooting about 1-2" high at 36 yards. It was shooting basically straight above the bullseye though. I figured this must be since I had it sighted in at 50-70 yards. When I say 50 yards I'm just guessing as I know where 100 is and I tried to get in the middle. It may be slightly more than 50 but I don't think it's any less.

Here is the group I shot. Not very good. I was resting the gun on the deck railing for the shots circled in red. For the shots circled in blue I was trying to shoot it free handed. I know I'm not to great of a shot. I'm still working on that. The one closest to the center I think I may have shot slightly lower than the bullseye but not positive.

Here it is without my paintshop job on it.

So I didn't touch the scope and moved to approx 50 yards maybe slightly more. I didn't walk it off.

Well, I shot and it shot about even with the bullseye but to the right.

The shots to the right are the first few. I decided to turn the scope 4 clicks to the left. The shots in the center are after I adjusted it. I know I'm not getting very good groups but since they are all to the right and after adjusting it moved to the middle I think it was to the right.

Now why is it shooting to the right at 50-70 yards but was shooting center but high at 36 yards?

So I put a new target up and shot again at 50-70 yards. Here is what it did.

I just couldn't hold it still.

There is another one of that same target.

So now I moved back to 36 yards and shot. I rested it on the railing again but this time had the 50 round magazine that sticks out of the bottom so I rested it on the rail and held the gun in the air and kind of braced it against the side post. I can shoot decently like this. I had a 50 round magazine filled up and I shot quite a few times at the target but I did shoot some at a tree branch and at a leaf on the ground. So not all 50 shots were at the target. I'd say maybe 30 or so give or take.

This is what it did at 36 yards this time.

I'm very happy with that at 36 yards and it did pretty well at 50 yards too considering I couldn't hold it still. I think I will leave it like this.

Can anyone tell me why it shot high at 36 yards then at 50-70 it shot to the right? Once I turned it 4 clicks to the left it shot great at 50-70 yards and dead center at 36? Since I never adjusted the height shouldn't it be high still at 36 yards? I know I got a bad group but since all of the ones I shot off the rail were high in a group it makes me think it was high.

Does this seem like I have a broken scope or does it seem like it's me shooting? It's always been a good scope although it is just a Simmons.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

I would guess that its probobly just you, if you had such a good grouping at the end. If its still on after 50 shots, the scope should be good. Without a solid rest on at least two points, it is hard to get a very good grouping every time. I'd say that it looks like you're ready to head off to the woods, as far as the gun is concerned.

Quick Reply: What distance should I sight my .22 in for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.