Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Not allowed to use rifles=which states ? >

Not allowed to use rifles=which states ?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Not allowed to use rifles=which states ?

Old 05-15-2016, 02:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default Not allowed to use rifles=which states ?

What states do not allow hunters to use a rifle for deer/bears and so on ? What do these folks use for hunting deer/bears ?
Do these states have a lot of ground hogs and deer ?
I am so glad i grew up in Pa.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Illinois is shotgun only, parts of ohio, south Carolina was shotgun only in the 70's, va east of the blue ridge is shotgun or was a few years ago, now most shotgun only areas allow a muzzleloader to be substituted for a shotgun. glad your happy with pa, I can't fathom a state that is so strict on semi-auto rifles you can't even squirrel hunt with a 10/22
RR
Old 05-15-2016, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Ohio used to not allow rifles. SHotgun with slugs or a muzzleloader was your option. Now Ohio allows some rifles. Straight walled I believe is their requirements. So allot of people are shooting .44mags, .45-70, .444s etc
-Jake
Old 05-15-2016, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are quite a few places that only allow shotguns. Sometimes it is states and sometimes just parts of states. I hunted a lot of military bases before I retired and they usually only allow shotguns or muzzleloaders. I killed a lot of deer with a 12 gauge pump.

Like RR, I'm glad you love PA. I've hunted there twice myself but I like other states more for hunting but I still go to Lancaster every year on my way back from seeing the in laws in NH to buy some Amish specialties.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Almost all the lower half of Michigan is divided where there is a shotgun, muzzle loader or pistol zone till just a few years ago when they opened it up to rifles with straight wall pistol type ammo hunting.

Rest of the state is pretty much shoot what ya want.

Al
Old 05-15-2016, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

that's right parts of pa are shotgun only too! or were , haven;'t checked in a while, but the special reg's area of SE PA was all shotgun only in many parts for yrs and yrs
so, PA is all rifle, PA has flaws as do all states in rules
many would love SUndays hunting here as well as to be able to use semi rifles for small game ( like coyotes /squirrels )
and many would like to use them for big game too??

as I am sure many other states would as well

pro's and con's to all things LOL
Old 05-15-2016, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Much of eastern and south/east VA is Shotgun only. You can use a ML. I rarely hunt over that way, but have a few times. A shotgun with slug or buckshot is certainly adequate to kill deer or bear, just not long range. Many of the area's that are shotgun only run dogs also. There are plenty of deer and other game. The bulk of the land is flatter, shotguns/ML's don't have the carry distance that a CF rifle does - in theory its safer.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Shotgun only seems to be more for East Coast & Mid West states and military bases. Ca requires "using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles" and so are most of the western states.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

WV hunter, PA contracted to have a study done when a bunch of townships were lobbying the PA Game Commission to expand the shotgun only areas. Shotgun areas are now a misnomer because muzzle-loaders have been added as legal several years ago as legal sporting arms in those areas. The results of the study, paid for by the PA legislature were surprising to many. They were that rifled slugs are no more safe than rifle bullets because slugs have more of a tenancy ricochet off the ground and objects than bullets fired from rifles. The shotgun areas were not expanded! Of course, those in already in existence were not removed because they would have been riot at the next commission by those who live in the shotgun areas. I have no doubt that the results were correct because our officers had training on how to bounce a rifled slug off the ground to hit an assailant under certain circumstances. The more the angle the higher the slug will bounce. We were easily hitting silhouette inside the scoring rings by bouncing the rifled slugs off the ground in front of the targets. Do not try this at home, it is for information only in case the are you hunt wants shotgun only areas.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 05-15-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

RR, How often do you need a second shot at the speed a semi can deliver it verses the speed in which you can cycle a lever, pump, or bolt? In my experience in small and big game hunting I have never needed that speed other than hog hunting sounders which is what my AR's are for. As far as for squirrels, my little Marlin lever .22L is pretty quick on second shots if needed.

As far as SG/ML only states, there are few that that restriction is state wide but there are MANY states that have that restriction in certain areas. With today's muzzleloaders especially, it's an outdated rule to say the least. Even some of the rifled sluggers are extremely potent out to 200+ yards! I don't push my 12 gauge barrel on my TC out past 150 usually but I don't think there would be too much involved in dropping a beast out to 200 with it. It's just my own personal restriction based on how far I feel 100% certain of my ability with that certain barrel.

Last edited by super_hunt54; 05-15-2016 at 11:04 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.