Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Not allowed to use rifles=which states ? >

Not allowed to use rifles=which states ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Not allowed to use rifles=which states ?

Old 05-15-2016, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
RR, How often do you need a second shot at the speed a semi can deliver it verses the speed in which you can cycle a lever, pump, or bolt? l.
I seldom ever need the speed of a semi for fast reloads
BUT it would be nice to have more use of semi rifles I own, or NOT having to buy other rifles when ONE can do more things
an AR say in .308 can be a great hunting rifle, home defense and target gun, all in one rifle
as would a .223 one for varmints and targets and home defense

so its not just about needing a FAST reloading gun to hunt with for follow up shots, its just getting more use out things you can do more with

rather hard to use a bolt action for self defense
a pump/lever?
OK< I guess but??
and YES a .308 -.223 isn't the best self defense calibers either
just showing an example of why a semi could be a PRO to have if, allowed to hunt with them

I cannot tell you HOW many times I have heard 5-6 + shots ring out as fast as a person can do in rifle deer season
so its NOT like going to a semi would make that any faster shooting going on's, as you said, you can shoot a lever/pump pretty fast!
and many pumps and levers can hold a bunch of rounds too
so it might even be easier to have a mag limit on ALL rifles then, if capacity is a concern!
Old 05-15-2016, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

IL is shotgun slug for deer.

you can use any rifle cartridge for coyote and small game etc...
I'm pretty certain you can hunt coyote 24hrs a day and any size magazine... kinda odd compared to deer season/slug.

I believe I read an article on how slug gun states tend to have bigger bucks...

I think you can use muzzle loader for 2nd deer season now.

I think the theory at least is, guys won't take 500yd shots and wound deer with a slug... 100yds is pretty far to most sluggers and probably 200 is close to the upper limit.

Also less chance of wounding a fellow hunter with a rifle bullet vs slug.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where VA. is concerned, both residents and non-resident hunters would do well to pay close attention to the various reg's. wording. It's a common misconception that there aren't any or many areas east of blue ridge where rifles may be used. VA.'s reg.'s seem weird for many reasons. First, there are state ordinances and county specific ordinances. (and other types I won't mention) Laws vary based on a # of reasons: weapon range capability, population density, topography, species hunted and disability. VA. has a lot to offer the hunter. The laws can vary so widely that even residents miss out for lack of knowledge or deep study. As a quick example of species hunted: One of the regulations state that cf rifles may not be used in the county for deer. Yet, in that same county, cf rifles .22 and larger may be used to hunt groundhog or other wild species. I won't complain about the reg., but one has to wonder if that bullet knows the difference between a white tail, a turkey or a groundhog. Go figure!
Old 05-15-2016, 01:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is the problem where a county or municipality can pass it's own laws regarding hunting. It creates a lot of confusion. One thing that PA did right was to give full authority over wildlife, hunting and hunting methods to it's game agency. No other government entity can pass valid laws or ordinances relating to hunting. The Game and wildlife code supersedes any laws passed by municipal entities with regards to hunting. It has been tried and failed because of the way the Game and Wildlife Code is written. We have 67 counties and each of those counties have townships and towns and villages and cities. To allow all those entities to pass their own ordinances relating to hunting would be a giant goat rope and a nightmare. The Capital city of Harrisburg not all that long ago had a mayor who didn't want hunters on the Susquehanna river hunting waterfowl because some of the river is within the city limits. He would sent the police out on the river to harass waterfowlers and tell them they were hunting within the city limits and discharging a firearm inside the city limits was illegal. The Game Commission received complaints from hunters and contacted the Mayor's office and told him the city had no jurisdiction over hunting or hunters and so long as they were 150 yards off shore they were perfectly legal. Finally, after another complaint the city attorney was contacted and told the next complaint of harassment by hunters who were being harassed while legally hunting on the river would result in the the PGC filing "hunter harassment charges against the police officers who were interfering with hunters and support any hunter who sued the Mayor and the city for harassment by testifying in the civil court for the hunters. finally, after several years of dealing with this nonsense, the harassment ended. I can't imaging living and hunting in a state that had a mish mash of laws passed by multiple government entities controlling hunting and trying to memorize or know all of them. PA may not allow semi auto firearms for hunting, but they are ahead of the curve on this issue.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 05-15-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

RR, How often do you need a second shot at the speed a semi can deliver it verses the speed in which you can cycle a lever, pump, or bolt? In my experience in small and big game hunting I have never needed that speed other than hog hunting sounders which is what my AR's are for. As far as for squirrels, my little Marlin lever .22L is pretty quick on second shots if needed.
need isn't the issue.
RR
Old 05-15-2016, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
I seldom ever need the speed of a semi for fast reloads
BUT it would be nice to have more use of semi rifles I own, or NOT having to buy other rifles when ONE can do more things
an AR say in .308 can be a great hunting rifle, home defense and target gun, all in one rifle
as would a .223 one for varmints and targets and home defense

so its not just about needing a FAST reloading gun to hunt with for follow up shots, its just getting more use out things you can do more with

rather hard to use a bolt action for self defense
a pump/lever?
OK< I guess but??
and YES a .308 -.223 isn't the best self defense calibers either
just showing an example of why a semi could be a PRO to have if, allowed to hunt with them

I cannot tell you HOW many times I have heard 5-6 + shots ring out as fast as a person can do in rifle deer season
so its NOT like going to a semi would make that any faster shooting going on's, as you said, you can shoot a lever/pump pretty fast!
and many pumps and levers can hold a bunch of rounds too
so it might even be easier to have a mag limit on ALL rifles then, if capacity is a concern!
I too have heard the opening day salvo in the PA woods many times and to be honest, I would be about frightened if half those idiots had semi's in their hands. If they are fast firing AND MISSING 60-80% of the shots they are attempting at running deer with manuals, imagine the horror and mayhem if you put semi's in their hands!!

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
need isn't the issue.
RR
I concur partially but in all reality there really is no need for semi's in 95% of hunting situations. The other 5% goes to wing shooting and multiple animal situations. Hell I hog hunted for many years with just a lever gun and was only marginally less successful in numbers of kills in comparison to my experience with AR's over the past 5 or so years. Got pretty sporty with a lever as can anyone with a little coaching and practice.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I too have heard the opening day salvo in the PA woods many times and to be honest, I would be about frightened if half those idiots had semi's in their hands. If they are fast firing AND MISSING 60-80% of the shots they are attempting at running deer with manuals, imagine the horror and mayhem if you put semi's in their hands!!

I concur partially but in all reality there really is no need for semi's in 95% of hunting situations. The other 5% goes to wing shooting and multiple animal situations. Hell I hog hunted for many years with just a lever gun and was only marginally less successful in numbers of kills in comparison to my experience with AR's over the past 5 or so years. Got pretty sporty with a lever as can anyone with a little coaching and practice.
in the Special reg area in SE PA< they used to(and still might be able to)
use semi auto shotguns with slugs for deer hunting
so in an odd way, they are using semi's there
used to hunt that area back in the mid 90's
and I seen running for deer life with a army of orange hunters emptying guns at running deer.
It was like WW II D day on them there, LOL

I once seen 5 different guys all doing a drive, deer busted out from first guy and ran past all 5, I was 20+ ft up a tree and GLAD to be there when the slugs started flying LOL
last I seen that deer , its back legs looked like helicopter blades,
and NOT a single guy went to look to see if they hit it, just reloaded and kept going on there drive!
I felt bad for the poor deer
was the last time I hunted down there
too dangerous for my liking
used to hunt there due to unlimited tags and longer season, as I had the time off of work, so took advantage to fill the freezer
Old 05-16-2016, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I am not a fan of the Michigan game commission at all. From what I see is appointments of friends of the governor or his friends set on it.
At one time I could fathom the shot gun only rule in congested areas of Michigan back in the day of smooth bore shot guns and foster type slug pretty much limited to 100 yards at best.

Today with muzzle loaders that shoot with a guarantee of being accrete to 200 yards and slug guns with rifled barrels (rifled barrels, would those not be a rifle really?) with 3 inch ammo, also good out to a couple hundred yards.

My 30-30, 32 Winchester special, friends 35 Remington all fit into that 200 yard at best category so I think the game commission should have hunters setting on that board who know about shooting the different shot gun, muzzle loader & pistol deer game loads make the rules.

As for semi auto rifles, there are 6 of us who hunt a lot of coyotes. All of us except Dean uses a single shot or bolt action rifle. For 2015 we all racked up double digit kills. Dean how ever with his semi auto rifle has doubled what the other highest count guy got.
He just about every time we are out gets doubles, but that is what he built his rifle to do score doubles on coyotes.

Al
Old 05-17-2016, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

I grew up in VA in one of those shotgun only counties. Everyone hunted deer with dogs and buckshot. It's just not my type of hunting. I met and worked for farmers in other counties that allowed deer hunting with a rifle so that's how I got to use mine. I laugh at the PA rule as I have plenty of buddies there but it just turns me off I couldn't use by browning bar there. I didn't get it to shoot fast I just liked the gun. Lol when I get to a place that's shotgun only I use my savage 220.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

ive been hunting in Pa. since I started hunting at age 13. ill be 65 at the end of the this year, so I guess I can safely say that I'm glad that Pa. doesn't allow semi rifles for hunting. especially deer. if any of you have ever hunted the first day of deer in Pa. the woods are alive with blaze orange. almost someone behind every tree. if someone would open up with a semi someone's bound to get hurt or killed. as for small game I wouldn't mind a semi 22 rimfire being used for squirrels. as long as the hunter was not shooting into the tree tops. safety first. this is my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.