Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
looking for my first deer rifle. i have something in mind... >

looking for my first deer rifle. i have something in mind...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

looking for my first deer rifle. i have something in mind...

Old 02-15-2016, 10:23 AM
Spike

Default looking for my first deer rifle. i have something in mind...

hello everybody im new to this forum i would have used a "search" function on this forum so i wont ask a question that already has an answer to it just did not find it but here we go.. P.S. (haha the search is right there sorry about that nexttime ill look harder)
you can skip to the bottom the main question is there

im looking for a deer rifle i do have an old pump action 270 but it needs alot of work so now im looking for a new rifle this would be my first time shopping for a gun.

i have some in mind the tikka t3 hunter, the wheatherby vanguard, and possibly the m700 or model 70. the last two is not too much of an interest to me even though i know they are great rifles ill just save them for my next gun quest for now.

so i went to the store on Saturday to look at used rifles and i asked the clerk if he had any "as followed " t3, model 70 or model 700 in 308/30-06. and he handed me a new t3 i love this rifle and i believe i may buy it in time. but now ive also found online a vangard ive never heard of this rifle and none of my fiends heard of it dosent surprise me though because they didnt know about the t3 until 6 months ago.

so the advantage of the weatherby is its cheaper and online it looks like an exceptional first hunting rifle but, i dont know anything about this rifle except for the price tag. the t3 on the other hand seems very high end and well balanced for me and the rifle is in my price range of $550-899 and some change.
any advise on these two guns (the t3 and vandguard) would be great and im sorry for this long thread next time ill keep it shorter and cleaner.
also any other rifles within my price range would be great i know there is alot out there

thank you for replying,
Bob

Last edited by offroadingbob; 02-15-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a T3 lite in .30-06. This is a sweet handling accurate rifle. Having owned both, I put it above the 700. Being a lefty I've never owned a Vangard or M-70.
The bolt on the T3 is slicker than snot on a door knob and the polymer magazine with its single stack makes for smooth feeding. I would not hesitate to buy another.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

I've got a vanguard in 257 weatherby and I love it. It's accurate and tough as I've taken it all over. I guess what I like about it most is its simple and dependable. I also like the 3 position safety for several reason like I don't have to worry about the bolt being pulled open by the brush. I nevered worried about that before until I had my bolt pulled open by the brush when hunting with my model 700. Good luck on your choice
Old 02-15-2016, 11:10 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I have a T3 lite in .30-06. This is a sweet handling accurate rifle. Having owned both, I put it above the 700. Being a lefty I've never owned a Vangard or M-70.
The bolt on the T3 is slicker than snot on a door knob and the polymer magazine with its single stack makes for smooth feeding. I would not hesitate to buy another.
i agree when i looked at it i feel in love. haventt seen the lite yet but im sure i wont go wrong with any t3. the bolt was so amazing on that rifle and for the price i think its well worth it. its high end stuff right there.

funny thing is i looked at $1000+ rifles and i like this one the most. though there is always pros and cons when you go up the price range.

i already made up my mind the t3 is the rifle i want to get. but before that ill like to hear more on this t3.

i didnt dry fire to test the trigger how is it? should i get a trigger job done? i know this is strange question since i didnt even try it but doesnt hurt to ask.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BRUSE
I've got a vanguard in 257 weatherby and I love it. It's accurate and tough as I've taken it all over. I guess what I like about it most is its simple and dependable. I also like the 3 position safety for several reason like I don't have to worry about the bolt being pulled open by the brush. I nevered worried about that before until I had my bolt pulled open by the brush when hunting with my model 700. Good luck on your choice
ill have to check it out in the store before i say any more. since im still "looking" there has to be vast improvement on the vanguard for me to reconsider getting the t3. do you have wood stock or synthetic? main reason i ask is if it is wood how does it hold up to the brush and all of the other stuff we run into in the woods. my 270 has a finish on it and it didnt last to long plus its a 45+ yr old rifle so yea.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:36 AM
Spike

i am guessing the t3 needs more attention then the vanguard but i may be wrong by a long shot

to any t3 owners how is it is it tough or do i have to baby it?. im actually not too concerned because it is an awesome rifle and i believe itll hold up to anything as long as i do my part at the end.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am a proud owner a .223 Tikka T3 lite in stainless.

IMO Excellent for the money !!!
Old 02-15-2016, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've never owned a Tikka, they seem "cheap" to me. But lots of people like them and they are inherently pretty accurate.

Like I always say, for a budget/first time/truck gun it's hard to beat a Howa 1500...especially for under $400...
Old 02-15-2016, 11:54 AM
Spike

also if you were wondering if you couldnt tell already the t3 really made an impression on me i love quality and it was more than i originally expected when i held it for the first time. since most companies tell only the good and make you want to believe there product is the best i feel like i cant make anymore opinions on other rifles in my price range. im a very spectacle person and i have to see it to believe it in some cases. American companies are great at leading you on. and that goes for everybody really.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by jeepkid
I've never owned a Tikka, they seem "cheap" to me. But lots of people like them and they are inherently pretty accurate.

Like I always say, for a budget/first time/truck gun it's hard to beat a Howa 1500...especially for under $400...
i saw one in stock on the used/sales rack. ill have to go back to see how it feels. i might consider it. i think i passed it up because it was the wrong cal. .243 i believe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.