Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
looking for my first deer rifle. i have something in mind... >

looking for my first deer rifle. i have something in mind...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

looking for my first deer rifle. i have something in mind...

Old 02-16-2016, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Williams gun sight, Davison Michigan.
Used
http://shop.williamsgunsight.com/mor...ucts.aspx&ai=M

to buy from them.
To purchase a used gun from us simply call us at 1-800-530-9028 Monday-Saturday 9am-6pm EST, Sunday 10-5 - We will then walk you through the process of purchasing a gun. You may pay us for the firearm using a credit card. We'll have you locate a firearms dealer in your area that will accept a transfer gun on your behalf. Once we receive a copy of their Federal Firearms License we can ship your gun to the dealer who will transfer it to you.

If you would like to search for other used rifles go here.

http://shop.williamsgunsight.com/products.aspx

I have bought several rifles and shot guns plus a pistol from them. Very good folks and good to deal with. Just put a huge addition on the store and are remodeling the old store. I was just in there yesterday and looked at the 270 T3 nice condition rifle.

Al
Old 02-16-2016, 08:35 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
What's wrong with your pump? I'll take it off your hands if your done with it. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those options listed.
-Jake
its a great rifle but it has been used alot! its a remington model 760 . the things im concerned about is the action, it needs to be looked at. the action is very playful too much for my taste and safety. it is somewhat accurate but i believe i shoot bigger groups do to shooter error. since the pump is very playful it is unreliable. i missed a bore once because of that, had to recycle the action and they ran off before i could get a shot... happens alot at the range too

now its not that i want to get rid of it i just plan on getting help from a friend (gunsmiths son) so ill do that this summer.

p.s. its always good to have a nice bolt action at your disposal cant really go wrong with that

Last edited by offroadingbob; 02-16-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Williams gun sight, Davison Michigan.
Used

to buy from them.
To purchase a used gun from us simply call us at 1-800-530-9028 Monday-Saturday 9am-6pm EST, Sunday 10-5 - We will then walk you through the process of purchasing a gun. You may pay us for the firearm using a credit card. We'll have you locate a firearms dealer in your area that will accept a transfer gun on your behalf. Once we receive a copy of their Federal Firearms License we can ship your gun to the dealer who will transfer it to you.

If you would like to search for other used rifles go here.

http://shop.williamsgunsight.com/products.aspx

I have bought several rifles and shot guns plus a pistol from them. Very good folks and good to deal with. Just put a huge addition on the store and are remodeling the old store. I was just in there yesterday and looked at the 270 T3 nice condition rifle.

Al
thanks for the site. thanks for looking too its nice to have a inside scoop on the guns and quality. ill check it out right now. since i already have a 270 and love that cartridge i wont hesitate getting another .

whats your primary hunting rifle?
Old 02-16-2016, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by offroadingbob
its a great rifle but it has been used alot! its a remington model 760 . the things im concerned about is the action, it needs to be looked at. the action is very playful too much for my taste and safety. it is somewhat accurate but i believe i shoot bigger groups do to shooter error. since the pump is very playful it is unreliable. i missed a bore once because of that, had to recycle the action and they ran off before i could get a shot... happens alot at the range too

now its not that i want to get rid of it i just plan on getting help from a friend (gunsmiths son) so ill do that this summer.

p.s. its always good to have a nice bolt action at your disposal cant really go wrong with that
its either your mag or you short shucked it, my old 760 that I bought in 78 is flawless long as you keep the mags tweaked, its killed a tractor/trailor load of critters, and the action is very loose, but you can put five rounds through it in less than 3 seconds if ya need to
RR
Old 02-16-2016, 02:20 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
its either your mag or you short shucked it, my old 760 that I bought in 78 is flawless long as you keep the mags tweaked, its killed a tractor/trailor load of critters, and the action is very loose, but you can put five rounds through it in less than 3 seconds if ya need to
RR
sorry for the lack of gun terminology but the "ejector slide cover" has to manually be closed more than half the time; therefor if it isnt, it doesn't engage properly.. at first i thought the same, i wasnt racking it all of the way, but it turns out that the parts are just worn out do to constant use in all types of conditions, since this is my only rifle above 22lr and not a shot gun.

back to the mags ,can you explain please?
Old 02-16-2016, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

sorry for the lack of gun terminology but the "ejector slide cover" has to manually be closed more than half the time; therefor if it isnt, it doesn't engage properly.. at first i thought the same, i wasnt racking it all of the way, but it turns out that the parts are just worn out do to constant use in all types of conditions, since this is my only rifle above 22lr and not a shot gun.

back to the mags ,can you explain please?
the feed rails on the mags are quite fragile, they get bent just a bit and the next round does not get in proper position to be picked up when the action is cycled, the ejector slide cover is a piece of plastic and is just there for looks, believe me, mine has thousands of rounds through it, it was my deer, groundhog, target, plinking truck rifle for a lot of years, its retired now but still would use it if I didn't have better stuff to use.
RR
Old 02-16-2016, 03:02 PM
Spike

the feed rails on the mags are quite fragile, they get bent just a bit and the next round does not get in proper position to be picked up when the action is cycled, the ejector slide cover is a piece of plastic and is just there for looks, believe me, mine has thousands of rounds through it, it was my deer, groundhog, target, plinking truck rifle for a lot of years, its retired now but still would use it if I didn't have better stuff to use.
RR
ok ill look at them thanks for the heads up and yes one of my mags are malfunctioning.. . and i know for sure nothing on my gun is plastic whatsoever all metal. is the butt on your stock plasticrubber or metal?

ill explain more; i may be mistaken on the term i used to explain. it is a part of the action but to me it looks like the only function is no more than a cover for the action/bolt. there is no aftermarket dust/dirt shield that u would normally see on ar15 style rifles
i could clarify more once i check out my mags
Old 02-16-2016, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok ill look at them thanks for the heads up and yes one of my mags are malfunctioning.. . and i know for sure nothing on my gun is plastic whatsoever all metal. is the butt on your stock plasticrubber or metal?

ill explain more; i may be mistaken on the term i used to explain. it is a part of the action but to me it looks like the only function is no more than a cover for the action/bolt. there is no aftermarket dust/dirt shield that u would normally see on ar15 style rifles
i could clarify more once i check out my mags
just dug mine out of the back of the safe, pretty sure its black nylon, I know the one on my 742 was cause I had it out when I rebuilt the bolt
RR
Old 02-16-2016, 05:04 PM
Spike

just dug mine out of the back of the safe, pretty sure its black nylon, I know the one on my 742 was cause I had it out when I rebuilt the bolt
RR
ok i thought they didnt start the plastic nylon till they made the 7600.

btw ive been using powershock federal ammo 150/155 grain when i hunted pigs last time a bit heavy load and i dont like fragmenting rounds also, it did kick harder than my friends 30-06. what ammo do you use, any suggestions?
all this talk about the 270 is really making me want to take it out..

also i never considered a semi auto just never appealed to me like bolt/pump does for hunting anything bigger than a coyote that is. im sure ur 742 is a fine exceptional hunting rifle

Last edited by offroadingbob; 02-16-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

130 nosler ballistic tip, if that's not suitable try the 130 accubond, have had ero problems with the BT, the 130 sierra ain't bad but doesn't shoot as well as the noslers in my rifle
RR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.