Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Lets talk pistol oil and grease >

Lets talk pistol oil and grease

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Lets talk pistol oil and grease

Old 01-18-2016, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Lets talk pistol oil and grease

Soon to purchase a front pocket .380. It'll be entry-level priced, that's all I can afford. One of these below and I early-on exluded the Kel-Tec pistol.
Kahr CW380
Ruger LCP
Taurus TCP738

Not looking to talk guns-itself here. Instead I want to hear what you're lubing your ramp, springs, slides, extractor, firing pin and triggers with. I'm leaning towards Tetra Gun Grease for the slides. Considering these oils for the rest....
G96 Gun Treatment
M-Pro7
Slip 2000 EWL
Quantum Hot Sauce Reel Oil

I use Ballistol or Breakfree CLP in my rifles. But I don't wear rifles next to my body. This new pistol will remain unholstered and in my front or side pocket.... and I don't want gun oil dripping into my pockets and down my leg.....lol

Not really interested in your homemade brands. Just store-bought stuff please. These entry-level type sub-compacts are sensitive creatures, for the slide is shortened. So I'm guessing I'll need to keep lubed-up pretty good .... even the ramp.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 01-18-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would go with a Kahr, I carry a Kahr MK40 and it is almost as small as a .380 with much more punch and with an extended magazine will fit a large hand. I never grease the slide, grease has a bad habit of attracting dirt which will cause problems. I mostly run my slide dry with the exception of occasionally put about half a drop of Breakfree in each grove. Essentially I clean the gun each time I fire it and if I am in the rain I wipe it down lightly on the outside with a little G-96. The worst thing you can do to a semi handgun is to over lubricate it, it is a recipe for the gun to fail you. I have 3 semi auto handguns and I treat them all the same and they cycle perfectly. Cleanliness, not grease is what you want.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why would your firearm be dropping in oil?

I run Hornady One Shot, Frog Lube, and G96 on my firearms. I use white lithium, tetra, and moly grease on dear interfaces.

I've pocket carried for ~15yrs, I've never had any of my carry pieces drip oil down my leg.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can't understand why anyone would think it is ok or good to oil a gun so much that the oil drips off! Handgun, rifle or shotgun. I have seen many long guns over the years. with stocks darkened by over oiling the gun then sitting it butt stock down in a gun cabinet, and semi auto handguns that jam because of over lubing which catches powder residue and gunks up and slows down the action.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried CLP on all my revolvers and pistols for a first time a month ago. I would say it is impossible to remove it all by wiping it off so I just wiped down all the parts very thoroughly. Zero issues with too much lubrication. Very far from being close to dripping.

I already learned the bad side of over oiling. It was a Marlin levergun. On the next action disassembly the parts were gummed up and sticky. Just enough and not a drop more is the way to go.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

FYI if you ever use a foaming bore cleaner on a rifle remove the action before applying the cleaner and stick many patches in the chamber to block it. If not you will have a sticky mess similar to over oiling.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
Soon to purchase a front pocket .380. It'll be entry-level priced, that's all I can afford. One of these below and I early-on exluded the Kel-Tec pistol.
Kahr CW380
Ruger LCP
Taurus TCP738

Not looking to talk guns-itself here. Instead I want to hear what you're lubing your ramp, springs, slides, extractor, firing pin and triggers with. I'm leaning towards Tetra Gun Grease for the slides. Considering these oils for the rest....
G96 Gun Treatment
M-Pro7
Slip 2000 EWL
Quantum Hot Sauce Reel Oil

I use Ballistol or Breakfree CLP in my rifles. But I don't wear rifles next to my body. This new pistol will remain unholstered and in my front or side pocket.... and I don't want gun oil dripping into my pockets and down my leg.....lol

Not really interested in your homemade brands. Just store-bought stuff please. These entry-level type sub-compacts are sensitive creatures, for the slide is shortened. So I'm guessing I'll need to keep lubed-up pretty good .... even the ramp.
rem-oil is all i use just clean your gun with what you use to do that and the just apply a little rem-oil with your fingers where you can reach and a very little with the spray attachment in the rails and all the moving parts trigger and such. i often wipe it off with one of those reel cloths.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would highly reconsider carrying a gun in my pocket without a holster. It won't matter what kind of oil is on it when you shoot yourself. Carrying a gun in your pocket without a holster is not recommended by anyone I have ever heard of.

That being said I prefer synthetic.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
I would highly reconsider carrying a gun in my pocket without a holster. It won't matter what kind of oil is on it when you shoot yourself. Carrying a gun in your pocket without a holster is not recommended by anyone I have ever heard of.

Not only the safety aspect, but the drawing aspect as well. All kinds of problems can arise from a bare pistol in the pocket trying to draw and it getting hung up. Especially front pocket. Back pocket jeans it less likely to cause issue drawing but your looser trousers such as khakis can have the same problems hanging up as your front. Lots of pocket holsters designed to protect the trigger as well as aid in drawing without hangup.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog

Wrong!
With the heavy triggers (double-action-only) associated with most-all (2-3/4"barrel / 11ounce-type) pocket pistols..... they are safe to carry that way. It's certainly not an item you would share with something else in that pocket thou. The only time you would reach in that pocket, is to remove the handgun. Sure, there are situations when / where I wouldn't wear it that way. I would categorize those situations as seldom removed. A pocket holster would be used in those rare situations.

Hey, I'm not young and active anymore. I'm retired and it's rare when I engage in hours of physical activity or work around the house. I know when / when not to wear it that way. So does everyone else I know using that same M.O. I learned long & hard about this process thru my brother and next door neighbor cop, who-both have been carrying this way for at least 4-5 years now. Look, I'm not here to debate this segment of the topic-thread. Lets end this right here - right now.

As far as oil/grease, I'm leaning towards Tetra gun grease and G96 Synthetic Oil. I cannot find Slip 2000 EWL anywhere locally and I'll wait a little longer before ordering it on Amazon Prime @ 13.75 for the 4oz bottle. I'm getting a 2nd compact 9mm too, so I'll use Slip2000 in one - G96 in the other .380 and figure out eventually which one is the best for both handguns. Word is that G96 Synthetic is really slippery and not subject to residue or gumming or running. It bonds, long-lasting and so does the Slip 2000 EWL.

Thanks to everyone that replied here.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 01-20-2016 at 04:54 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.