Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Lets talk pistol oil and grease >

Lets talk pistol oil and grease

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Lets talk pistol oil and grease

Old 01-22-2016, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

NoMercy likes those LCP's and .380's as well. My hands are too darn big for them. Just can't get the right "feel" to where I feel I am as accurate as I would want to be in a bad situation. I do remember some years ago handling a Walther .380 (made in Germany I believe) that dang near fit me.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:28 AM
Fork Horn

The LCP will be a non-holstered, front pocket conceal between 'roughly' May 1st and end of September (warm weather months here). If I ever need to squeeze the trigger using it, the bad guy or bad, loose, vicious pitbull during my dog walks should be no more than 20 feet away (at most).

If necessary, I will empty the magazine pretty quickly, using a two finger hold on the Ruger LCP grip. My hands are big also and the recoil from a hypothetical 86-95gr ACP bullet is not bad. Should not see any limp-wristing using it. The other seven months or-so wearing heavier clothes means using the little bigger 9mm as conceal-carry, wearing it using a OWB holster.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 01-23-2016 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
NoMercy likes those LCP's and .380's as well. My hands are too darn big for them. Just can't get the right "feel" to where I feel I am as accurate as I would want to be in a bad situation.
You must have some big ol' paws then - my wedding ring is size 13.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

I would suggest using breakfree for any gun with moving parts. a couple drops goes a long way and is not noted for freezing up in cold weather.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

Lets say WD 40 and let the comments roll.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:47 AM
Spike

If you want to be completely dry there is another option.

http://www.sandstromproducts.com/pdfs/e728.pdf

I learned of this company when I attended a Course entitled Corrosion Control and Prevention of Material Deterrioration presented at Rock Island Arsenal 30 years ago.

Dry film lubricant is the coating put on lots of M16 parts that does extremely well in prevention of corrosion and is very effective as a lubricant as well.

I don't get the aerosol, I prefer getting it by the pint and after mixing well I apply it with a model makers brush so you can put it right where you want it and there is no drips etc.

It was developed during Nam because the M16s were showing signs of deterrioration in the field and more and more parts have it called for on the drawings.

To give an idea of how tenacious this lubricant is I have a bush hog mower for my tractor I got new maybe five years back. Even though I greased the tail wheel prior to every use the 1" bolt axle was shot. The design of this one has rear discharge and the tail wheel is constantly being bombarded by sand, dirt, debris.

It even took out the bearings in the wheel. I got a new 1" grade 8 bolt and made new bushings out of steel stock I had on hand and instead of greasing it I coated the inside of the bushings with 27A and the axle and assembled it. I found I could run the bush hog 8 hours with no problem with one application.

Then they came out with 28A and I got some of it and I can run the bush hog about 11 to 12 hours. Been running this about four years now. Axle bolt is fine. I don't ever plan on going back to grease.

Now about every other time I used it for a long period I just tack up the back, remove the bolt and repaint the surfaces with it and let it dry and put it back together.

Last edited by Hummer70; 03-19-2016 at 07:13 AM.