Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New Ruger Super Duper Blackhawk!!!! >

New Ruger Super Duper Blackhawk!!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Ruger Super Duper Blackhawk!!!!

Old 09-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Deer huntin has been my thing for over 30yrs, got 3 safes full of "toys" yet I haven't any big game handguns. I decided that since next year I will be 45yrs old (DAMN how did THAT happen? ) I want a 45 cal, big game handgun. I DONT care for the giant Smiths (I've shot them, great guns but they just don't "flick my Bic") & I've always had a hankering for the 454 Casull.

When I saw this gun announced earlier this summer I thought "THERE SHE IS, THATS THE ONE!" I love EVERYTHING about this gun but then I have one other that I must secretly admit I'm intrigued by, the BFR 10" 45-70. One of the two will be living in one of my safes by next summer.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm trying to justify buying one even though I don't need it. I already have a Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull plus a 9 1/2" SRH in the mighty 454. Who knows what will happen if I actually stumble up on one of these hand held cannons? I already know most likely it will follow me home.

Last edited by Ruger-Redhawk; 09-03-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

For what purpose do you fellows find the "hand cannons" useful? I can imagine carrying one in big bear country but I am a bit puzzled about what other situations this would be an ideal tool.

I do occasionally use a T/C Contender or an open sighted S&W 629 to poke a deer. Will you use it for elk perhaps?
Old 09-03-2015, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use all mine (except the 4 inch .500) for hog and deer. The 4 inch I carry in Brownie territory. Nothing says "I Love You" like a 500 grain FP interlock
Old 09-04-2015, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to rechamber a Redhawk in .45 Colt to .454 Casull when I get the money. I've done it before and it was still in perfect shape after several thousand rounds fired in it! I still miss all the guns and everything else I lost in that house fire! You NEVER truly gain back everything you had before.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
I'm going to rechamber a Redhawk in .45 Colt to .454 Casull when I get the money. I've done it before and it was still in perfect shape after several thousand rounds fired in it! I still miss all the guns and everything else I lost in that house fire! You NEVER truly gain back everything you had before.
?????? SB, while it would be a little cheaper to RC a .45lc to a .454cas, you are essentially losing a gun to get another! Save a little more and buy a SRH then you will have BOTH! My .45lc's get the most action out of ALL my hunting handguns by far. You do know that whoever does your conversion will have to go to a 5 shot cylinder, replace all the internals (timing for a 5 shot), and more than likely replace the barrel as well. Pressures of a .454 are much higher than a .45lc. For all that, you would be cheaper to buy a new one come to think of it. Probably looking at 1k minimum for a conversion from a Smith worth his salt anyway.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Superhunt, I do all my own work, as I have for the last 30+ years that I had my own gunsmithing shop until I became disabled & was forced to retire & give up my shop. I'm retired now so my labor don't cost me anything lol. I do know a "bit" about conversions as I've done a bunch of them in the past, both for customers & myself. I'm fully aware of what all requires changing. The barrel don't have to be changed as both cartridges take the same diameter bullet.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
?????? SB, while it would be a little cheaper to RC a .45lc to a .454cas, you are essentially losing a gun to get another! Save a little more and buy a SRH then you will have BOTH! My .45lc's get the most action out of ALL my hunting handguns by far. You do know that whoever does your conversion will have to go to a 5 shot cylinder, replace all the internals (timing for a 5 shot), and more than likely replace the barrel as well. Pressures of a .454 are much higher than a .45lc. For all that, you would be cheaper to buy a new one come to think of it. Probably looking at 1k minimum for a conversion from a Smith worth his salt anyway.
Re-timing a 6 shot into a 5 shot can't be that difficult, as I did one the OTHER way myself.

There's no need to swap barrels on a 45 Colt to shoot 454 Casull - the cylinder is the weak link, the barrels and frames are just fine. Guys have been dropping 454 Cas Super Redhawk cylinders into 45 Colt Redhawks for years and years.

I'd be impressed to find out that a guy can simply ream out a 6 shot 45 colt cylinder to 454 C, since I'm prone to believe that there's a reason that Ruger uses Carpenter steel for their 454C cylinders. But if a guy can cut his own cylinders, then all you need is the cylinder to take a 45colt SBH to 454 Casull. (For redhawks, there are plenty of take off 454C cylinders floating around).

The disadvantage, I suppose, is that the 454C Ruger Super Blackhawks are so cheap! Only $780 on the ones I have coming. Pretty hard to buy a Super Blackhawk 44mag (for $600) then do any work to it at all before you get over that mark.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
For what purpose do you fellows find the "hand cannons" useful? I can imagine carrying one in big bear country but I am a bit puzzled about what other situations this would be an ideal tool.

I do occasionally use a T/C Contender or an open sighted S&W 629 to poke a deer. Will you use it for elk perhaps?
Other than adding range - no they're not "ideal" for deer.

For REALLY big stuff, I'll admit, I'm a bit perplexed at the comments of the PH that I'm working with right now, I've taken buffalo with hot 44mag loads, but I'm getting comments that the 454C might be on the light end for Cape Buffalo. Then again, there are lots of folks that think the 458win mag is light too...

The super magnum revolvers have a lot of range. If you can put it on the mark, those big bullets trucking at those speeds will do the job. Comparatively, a 454 Casull at 500yrds is about equivalent to a 45 Colt at the muzzle! Or similarly, a 454C is equivalent at 100-150yrds to a 44mag at the muzzle! If a guy just wants to shoot 50yrds or less at deer, then the 454C is just extra recoil. But if you want to shoot something bigger, or over 100yrds, then the extra energy is nice.

For the 454C and 480R Super Blackhawks, I'll be honest, my only real purpose is just to own them and enjoy some range time with them, although I'm sure I'll take them hunting occasionally. I already have other super magnum revolvers as my "primary" hunting revolvers, so taking anything else in the field is just for fun.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, Ruger itself recommends a barrel change if you are ramping a 45lc up to 454c because of the metal makeup of the barrel. Yes yes I know The pressure is primarily in the chamber of a revolver but if Ruger says you might oughtta do it, then I think I'm going to listen to them. Same thing goes for the cylinder, different metal content that isn't near rated for the pressures of the .454c. Not to mention the amount of meat you are taking from the cylinder walls anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.