Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New Ruger Super Duper Blackhawk!!!! >

New Ruger Super Duper Blackhawk!!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Ruger Super Duper Blackhawk!!!!

Old 09-05-2015, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Guys, Ruger itself recommends a barrel change if you are ramping a 45lc up to 454c because of the metal makeup of the barrel. Yes yes I know The pressure is primarily in the chamber of a revolver but if Ruger says you might oughtta do it, then I think I'm going to listen to them. Same thing goes for the cylinder, different metal content that isn't near rated for the pressures of the .454c. Not to mention the amount of meat you are taking from the cylinder walls anyway.
Could you reference their recommendation for barrel change? That is contrary to their "advice" in the late 1990's when I had a 45Colt SBH converted to 454C, and is different than the advice they gave when I had a 480R converted to 475Linebaugh.

The cylinder is well known to be Carpenter steel for the 454's, but I've yet to ever hear anything more than conjecture about barrels. Guys have been doing conversion cylinders on them for a long time without problem also - so under Ruger's advice or not, it works.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just know what I was informed of a couple of years ago when I was thinking about doing a conversion myself on one of my .45lc reds. On the ruger forum by several folks. They were saying SOME people were having barrel cracks starting to show on their converts. Just relaying what I was informed of. Kinda glad I didn't do it, guy gave me a really good deal on that .45 which led me to getting one on my .45 vaq's!
Old 09-05-2015, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

You don't take ANY meat from the cylinder when going from .45 Colt to .454 Casull. The cartridges and bullets are the same diameter, just the Casull is longer than the .45 Colt. I've done it before with great success and experienced no problems even after shooting thousands of rounds over the years. I guess you would have told Elmer Keith not to experiment either.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not telling you not to do it, it's your hands. Just as I wouldn't have tried to tell Elmer a damn thing. He listened to no one EVER! Man was more cantankerous than I am and that's hard to do! If you want to risk it then by all means do. Just alerting you to the dangers of doing it with a .45lc wheel. They aren't the right strength steel to be doing it and as I stated earlier, the barrels aren't rated for it either. Many have done it yes but many have been finding stress fractures in their barrels that have done it. But there is a vast difference between average 14,000 cup and average 65,000 cup.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
But there is a vast difference between average 14,000 cup and average 65,000 cup.
The same steel is used in the 454C, 480R, 44mag, and 45colt barrels. That's not conjecture, that's a fact. Those revolvers aren't designed to be a safe factor over 14,000CUP, and that's why you see so many reloading manuals with Ruger Only load recommendations - proven safe in Ruger Revolvers.

I might not have moss on my back yet, but I've been rebuilding these things into Super Magnums through top end revolver smiths for a decade, and have burned about $30,000 getting conversions put together. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that the barrels need to be changed. If it were an issue, I reckon Hamilton Bowen would have mentioned it before now.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I'm happy with my .45 Colt:

And as to a .480 Ruger:

The SRH is the right gun for a large caliber as the .454 and .480!!!

Love my .480 Ruger, but think the .454 is a devil caliber. When I shoot this gun, my shooting gloves scream out in pain!!!
Old 11-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't find the bisley frame attractive, although it sure is functional w/those heavier calibers and loads. I like the New RB stainless in .357 mag. w/6.5" barrel. Nothing larger than deer and that should work fine.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
I'm happy with my .45 Colt:

And as to a .480 Ruger:

The SRH is the right gun for a large caliber as the .454 and .480!!!

Love my .480 Ruger, but think the .454 is a devil caliber. When I shoot this gun, my shooting gloves scream out in pain!!!
You want a devil gun, try a 4 inch .500 S&Wmag! Mine rattles my dang feet! My 8+ inch isn't really bad at all, granted not a pleasure but not too awful bad. But that dang 4 inch would make godzilla cringe!
Old 11-20-2015, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just happen to be a retired gunsmith, and built all manner of revolvers as well as the usual 1911s and of course my main trade of custom rifles. I did it with my own shop a little over 30 years before I became disabled & had to give up my shop so I do happen to know a wee bit about the subject from all the conversions I've built.